Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The impedance of a sound wave in a tube ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf69

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sound wave in a tube..

Hi

The impedence in a medium for a pressure wave ( a sound wave) is in relation to the phisycal characteristics of the medium.
For example for the a gas I found:
Z = speed * density.

Now think at a pressure wave traveling through a tube (pipe); the impedence should be the same at open air since the medium is the same.
But when it reaches the open end pipe it is reflected in such way (in many musical instruments it is the working principle).

So I think there is a impedance changeing.. but the medium is the same!
Where is my mistake?

Bye all!

Re: Sound wave in a tube..

well mainly this is called the waveguide effect, the tube acts like a guide to the pressure wave inside.

thus actually the impedance of the medium is the same it doesnt change... what does change is the impedance affecting the wave itself due to being trapped inside the tube

Sound wave in a tube..

So the wave inside is moving on a different than air impedence.. maybe wave's speed change? Is there any formula telling this?

Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back