Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

testing device with 1 K load

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwga14

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I would like to conduct a bench test by injecting RF sin wave with 1.5- 2.6 GHz signal with different dBm (-110 to 20 dBm).
The test required to measure the output using 1 K load.
I am not familiar how to integrate the 1 K load and from where I can get it, and measure the output (to test AGC automated gain controller).
Please advise how I may conduct this test
VR

In RF domain, I read 1k as unloaded operation. For the measurement, you can use an active probe or a resistive passive probe.

What is the device you are testing?
What frequency is the output?
A 1k load is unusual for something operating at that frequency range.
I am testing a satellite receiver , 2335 and 1780 GHz. The output freq is 70 MHz, but I am testing the demodulated AM signal with AGC. It is input in dBm and output in vdc.
--- Updated ---

In RF domain, I read 1k as unloaded operation. For the measurement, you can use an active probe or a resistive passive probe.
Thanks, can you send me an example of a resistive passive probe?

Last edited:

If the output is DC or low frequency AC, you'd just connect an 1k load resistor and any kind of high impedance measurement instrument.

A paasive probe with several 100 MHz up to GHz bandwidth is build like shown below (copied from Joe Weber, Oscilloscop probe circuits, Tektronix 1969)

1654332506467.png

A 950 ohms resistor makes a 20:1 probe with 1k input impedance.

70 MHz can be easily measured with an Oscilloscope. Terminate your system with 1K and put the High Impedance Voltage probe to this point. Then convert the Voltage to dBm.

A well written test spec should include all conditions of
measurement. I'm guessing this is more of a verbal or
napkin sketch situation? So who's telling you "fragments
of "how" (as it seems) and do they possess the complete
story, to give you?

If this is a commercial part maybe its datasheet has a
more useful / complete test setup note, attending that
parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com