Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideal product for measuring emitted wifi signals from any device

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am an electronic hobbyist, basically a noob, trying to research into the field of rf/wifi signal hacking, protection. I am looking for best ideal device that can measure the accurate frequency/bandwith/channel of the emitted wifi signal from any device (laptop, mobile, tablet) etc.

I came across one such device named “ GQ EMF 390 “ RF detector

I am not sure if its accurate enough to detect the signals with some distance and will it be able to detect higher frequency bandwidth like 6-7ghz wifi 6e? Not sure if it even gives the exact frequency of the detected signal (like 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz etc)?

My primary reason is to know if any device (be it laptop, mobile, tablet, or even regular consumer electronics like light bulbs, refrigerators, light sockets, remote controllers etc) have any rogue wifi or any other built in “hidden” rf transceivers to capture and transmit audio/video etc covertly.

Or is a spectrum analyzer more accurate and can give correct reading of the frequency of the emitted signal from any rogue device? If yes then which model can one suggest?

Thanks.

Spectrum Analyzer is the best choice but there are phone applications that can do this job, relatively accurate.

My main focus is to analyse what kind of “UNWANTED” wireless signals are emitted from various “rogue” and “compromised” devices. Primarily when someone is a “target” for unauthorized data exfiltration (high profile hacking), I noticed that even air gapped systems (like laptops, notebooks, mobiles, tablets etc with every wireless card and lan adapter physically removed) are able to emit radio/gsm or other forms of signals to capture and transmit audio and video data to and from nearest wifi router/device along with giving full access to compromised machine itself by the hacker in real time. Which means the hacker virtually has full control over the system in real time, the moment victim opens the lid and push the power on button.

Which in conclusion means that, whatever one does even in an “air gapped” machine (with every wireless internal/external card or lan wire physically removed), can also be recorded and have access to by the hackers in real time. This is usually achieved when the compromised air gapped machine has some sort of hidden malware “deceptive” transceiver chip planted inside the motherboard (or main cpu processor itself) that constantly sends/receive data in real time virtually giving carte-blanch access to the victim’s machine by the hackers even in an air gapped state.

In such a scenario, it becomes extremely risky if the victim plans to venture into projects like developing his/her own movie scripts, 3d plans, or prepare for litigation against powerful agencies. As whatever he/she does even in his air gapped machine will eventually be leaked and ends up in the hands of the adversaries, nullifying all of his efforts, hard work and creativity.

What I feel the best can be done in such a scenario is to either switch to paper/pen based model. Or rely on a system (Counter Surveillance Device) that can detect the presence of such rogue signals so that the particular device in question can either be rectified or be discarded.

After doing lots of research, I came across couple of such devices (however both of them are way too expensive in terms of cost affordability). Following :

[ DeltaX G2 - Countersurveillance sweeping system ]

[ ANDRE® Deluxe Near-field Detection Receiver ]

They both seem to be out of reach from a common man’s pocket. However, with proper knowledge, guidance and information I am confident that one can shortlist a suitable spectrum analyzer that can do the similar detection job without hurting too much on the pocket. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

In an earlier time when amateur radio was popular, the grid dip meter was an inexpensive device used by many in detection and analysis. Direct contact was unnecessary. Various combinations of coils and capacitors determined frequency ranges. To calibrate your meter might be done as you observe behavior at known broadcast frequencies or nearby equipment.

hackaday.com/2015/11/30/the-grid-dip-meter-forgotten-instrument/

In an earlier time when amateur radio was popular, the grid dip meter was an inexpensive device used by many in detection and analysis. Direct contact was unnecessary. Various combinations of coils and capacitors determined frequency ranges. To calibrate your meter might be done as you observe behavior at known broadcast frequencies or nearby equipment.

hackaday.com/2015/11/30/the-grid-dip-meter-forgotten-instrument/
FYI : https://www.computerweekly.com/news...secret-radio-tech-to-spy-on-offline-computers

A good laptop or wifi router/modem can measure signal strength using the calibrated RSSI signal in dB and identify the carrier f and authentication method. I found the portable laptop with 3rd party scanner software most useful for finding open channels and unwanted channels.

Commercial scanners will have antennae designed for popular carriers such as this.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back