Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase measuring with a network analyser

guytoub

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I want to know if it's possible to measure the phase beetween two signals with à network analyser.
the test i want to realise it two put a signal throught a combiner and measure the phase with a network analyser.

thanks

You cannot measure Phase Noise with VNA. You should at least a Spectrum Analyzer ( some of them have PN Measurement Feature ) but the best option is to Phase Noise Measurement Analyzer.
Because overall accuracy of SA is lower than PN Analyzer.

Not with a standard VNA unless the signal is generated by the VNA itself. It measures the phase and magnitude of an input signal referred to the VNA generated output.

Please describe the test purpose and intended setup in detail.

Phase difference can be measured on an oscilloscope by determining the time delay between two signals along with their period.

From the initial post, I think the task is: "measure the phase (difference) beetween two outputs of a power splitter with a network analyser"

If my understanding is correct and you have a 2-port network analyzer, you would measure from input to first output port, with the other output terminated into 50 Ohm. Then repeat this for the other output. The difference in S21 phase between both mesurements is what you are looking for.

From the initial post, I think the task is: "measure the phase (difference) beetween two outputs of a power splitter with a network analyser"

If my understanding is correct and you have a 2-port network analyzer, you would measure from input to first output port, with the other output terminated into 50 Ohm. Then repeat this for the other output. The difference in S21 phase between both mesurements is what you are looking for.
thanks @volker@muehlhaus for your soulution.

it's exactly the phase difference and want to meausre .

@FvM i built a four ways beamformer and i wanted to measure the phase difference.
Now i want to know if and why i can measure the phases contibution beetween the outputs without plugin antennas.

thanks
--- Updated ---

Phase difference can be measured on an oscilloscope by determining the time delay between two signals along with their period.
i do that and see the difference but in high frequencies i can't cause my oscilloscop stops at 4Ghz.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back