Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

feeding network phase and amplitude correction with connected antenna

lkminz

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have been working on antenna array design and found the antenna array gain is lower than the antenna gain without feeding network. the phase difference and amplitude cause the beam tilt and gain reduction. As the parallel feeding network is design in very small space, the impedance of the microstrip line appears to change from calculated impedance due to coupling with other part of the feeding network. This may also make the phase slope slightly wobbling than being a straight line.
I have to check the gain improvement and amplitude and phase mismatch of feeding network.
I was wondering if it is possible to use some kind of probe or any circuit to extract phase of the line at the feeding point to antenna and simultaneously check the array gain improvement and feeding network correction.
correcting network and then checking the overall array gain may take too long time. I am looking to find smart way.
It would be really helpful if any can throw some light on the method to extract phase and amplitude of parallel feeding network just before antenna feed point while simulating the antenna array with feeding network.

Thank you.

There is no good way,the fastest way is to remover the antenna,single test each phase and insertion loss of the feeding network.and improve the feeding network according to the test results.

At mmWaves, measuring with accuracy the phase, in the way you want, is practically impossible.
Have to go back to the EM simulation and be sure you have entered the right data for all pieces of transmission lines, and also for the PCB material (real data, not the one mentioned in the datasheet).
An EM simulator should take into account any couplings between lines, so any impedance variations due to this reason.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back