Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

testbench output control, stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust861

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
testbench output control

Hi to all!
I have a quite stupid question, I think.
I have a testbench, where I force the output to the right result. If my code works how I expect, the output would be exactly equal to the one I expected, while if my code doesn't work, I will see red X on some parts or on all the output signal in ModelSim.

The stupid question is this: how could I do to have a std_logic signal which tells me the rightness of the output? I mean: for example a signal which is low when the output is right, high when the output goes to X

thank you ;)

the main issue, is when X appears during a simulation, this one is propagated, you should never used the X state, only to detect a unwanted behavior.

rca said:
the main issue, is when X appears during a simulation, this one is propagated, you should never used the X state, only to detect a unwanted behavior.

sorry, maybe I wasn't too clear...

The X doesn't appear because my code is wrong, but because the output of the code is not the same of the output I force in testbench.
For example, here it's a part of my testbench:

Code:
cicla_Num_e_Den : process
	begin
	  t_Start_Div <= '0';
	  wait for (4.63 ns);
		t_Start_Div <= '1';
		wait for (4.63 ns);
		t_Start_Div <= '0';
		wait until (t_End_div_int = '1');
		t_Denominatore <= t_Denominatore + 1;
		[b]t_Quoziente <= (t_Numeratore) / ("000" & t_Denominatore);
  		t_Resto <= (t_Numeratore) rem (t_Denominatore);[/b]		
		if t_Denominatore = ones_den_int then
			t_Numeratore <= t_Numeratore +1;
		end if;
		if t_Numeratore = ones_num_int and t_Denominatore = ones_den_int then
			t_reset <= '1';
			wait for (4.63 ns);
		  t_reset <= '0';
		end if;

end process;

I force t_Quoziente and t_Resto to be that values (integer division and remainder).
If my code works well, in ModelSim I will see that values in green. If my code doesn't work well, I will see no value, but X (or better U) in red.
For example, my code gives Quoziente (ratio) 0 and Resto (remainder) 0 even if there is a situation like 0/0 or 5/0, while the testbench recognizes a situation of division by zero and so in modelsim I see a X.

My question is: I want to drive a std_logic signal that is low when everything is right, high when the result is different from the forced value. How can be done this?

first of all, try to use english to create your signal name, it will be more readable by all designer, and more reused.

for division, you should control by a if condition, that an unwanted condition, that'not exist, and in the same way, you could add a signal to reflect this if statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back