Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synopsys running on CentOS vs. Solaris 9 on Sun V240 SPARC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_powered

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
centos on sun sparc

Presently running Synopsys on a Sun V240 SPARC IIIi server and I'm thinking about wiping the drives and installing CentOS 4 in place of Solaris 9.

Why?

1.)Can get the O/S patches without having to give Sun $800 for a support contract.

2.)Hope it will help solve problems with OpenGL on ssh'ed in clients.

What experiences have any of you had with running Synopsys under CentOS on a Sun SPARC server?

I'm running Cadence on a Sun V40 (x86-based) server and that's working out very well, but that's the architecture Linux was originally designed to run on.

I sure would appreciate any feedback you guys and gals have to share.

Thanks!

John

sun v240 linux centos

1.You should not run CentOS on Sparc V240.There is no centos for sparc platform.

2.Why not use vnc for your solve OpenGL problem?

3.Now,we should not run any simulation or verification on Sparc platform,the performance is too bad! A Dell 1435(2*Opteron dual core,4G memory) will have 3x performance vs Sun V240.

So,why not simple translate your application to x86 based server?

centos for sun v240

Actually, there is a beta version of CentOS for SPARC architecture, but when I looked at it, I decided it was not complete enough or stable enough for me to use in a research/training lab.

I'll look into using vnc--thanks for that suggestion.

Buying a new server is not an option at this point, or I WOULD move Synopsys to a Sun x86-based Server running CentOS 4.4.

As for the OpenGL problem, I'll post that in a new topic.

Thanks for your quick reply and suggestions!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.