Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suitable IGBT for motor drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

habibparacha

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to design a Permanent magnet DC motor's Speed control circuit. The motor is 8.0Hp which means approx 6KW. I want to derive the motor with 48V DC supply. I want to select a suitable IGBT which will smoothly control the Motor's speed and able to handle the maximum motor current. Any suggestions will be helpful.

I am not able to find the suitable part. Is there any special way of searching a part according to your specifications. Is there any online tool that can help you out in finding the parts you require.

What is motor parameters (nominal voltage, nominal current, rated speed), what is load type (dynamic performance requests eventualy) and working regime and what kind of control circuit will be used?

certain high power igbt's are now available in the market but you must specify them

what is the max current you want to use als o

I just need a part that will be able to tolerate high current. Voltage I am keeping at max of 60V not more than that.
I have switched on the motor directly with 48V DC supply(4, 12V batteries in series) and putting a full load on the motor I happened to see a current of almost 500A on the meter.( I know it sounds impossible ) but than a settled current of round about 150A. So I want a IGBT or Mosfet that can bear this starting peak current.

Hello,

I would go for mosfet as in your voltage range the voltage drop across the component (due to rdson) is much lower compared to an IGBT. Also the switching loss for mosfet is less. All will result in less cooling requirements.

You can control inrush current by taking load current into account. It will reduce stress on batttery, load, motor bearings, etc.

I assume that you will use a synchronized (half or full bridge) topology to remove the freewheel diode conduction loss.

parallel connection of several mosfets can be a cheap option (but you need to spend some time to drive them correctly).

you may visit www.infineon.com (go for optimos). They have 180A devices two or three devices in parallel may do the job.

Last edited:

150A is to much current, all components will be large and very expensive. How about to increase voltage to decrease current? I am not in electrical mashines, just ask informative.

150A is to much current, all components will be large and very expensive. How about to increase voltage to decrease current? I am not in electrical mashines, just ask informative.

high current tolerant devices are really costly as the capacity is made higher than that generally used

also note if peak current is 500 A then the capacity of the wires and stuff must have an additional 10% tolerance so the capacity of the cable must be a minimum 550 A that is rare to get and also to use

about mosfet they have better characteristics you can better switch to them if possible

check this link it has list of igbt's and their datasheets **broken link removed**

Is there any online tool that can help you out in finding the parts you require.
The websites of online stores like RS, Digikey and Mouser have selection and sorting facilities that make it easy to find what you want.

I had a quick look at MOSFETs on the RS website. It looks like you can get something suitable for less than $10, for example this one, that can handle 195A continuous drain current.

Status
Not open for further replies.