Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

strange problem, resolution decreases with signal amplitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhlbluesky

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have designed a sc-opamp, as fig1 shows (op1.jpg).
Cs/Cf=5/6, Vrefp-Vrefn=0.9, and (Vin+)-(Vin-)=0~1.8,
so (Vout+)-(Vout-)=-0.75~0.75;
and the timing as fig2 shows (timing.jpg).
fig3 (op2.jpg) is the OTA schematic, C1 C2 are the compensation capaciotr.
when post-simulation, i found that, the output voltage resolution decreases with the amplitude of input voltage, that is, when ((Vin+)-(Vin-))-((Vref+)-(Vref-)) is larger (600mv or more), the output voltage ((Vout+)-(Vout-))resolution can reach 12bit or more, however, when ((Vin+)-(Vin-))-((Vref+)-(Vref-)) is smaller (100mv or less), the output voltage ((Vout+)-(Vout-))resolution decreases a lot (to 9bit or less). it is very strange. (calibre R+C+CC)
when i extract capacitor only (C+CC), the resolution has no decrease with input voltage, but when i extract resistor only (R), the resolution decreases with input voltage.
besides, when i extract netlist only for OTA, the same case occurs (when i extract capacitor only (C+CC), the resolution has no decrease with input voltage, but when i extract resistor only (R), the resolution decreases with input voltage), that is, it is the parasitic resistor in OTA that causes this problem. but why? how can i find the destructive parasitic resistor? i'm really confused. pls help me.

besides, i want to decrease the parasitic capacitor in X and Y node (in layout), that is, i want to decrease the parasitic capacitor of top plate of Cs relative to ground (or Cs top plate to node '0'), then, what methods can i use?

pls help me. thanks in advance. thanks all.

Re: strange problem, resolution decreases with signal amplit

You don't mention any result parameter, that can be related to resolution (as noise, linearity or similar). For this reason, we
can only guess what you want actually to report.

i mean voltage resolution, for example:
if (Vin+)-(Vin-)-((Vrefp)-(Vrefn))=60mv, then, (Vout+)-(Vout-)=50mv for ideal case, but actually it is only 49.82mv (8 bit resolution) due to resolution decrease with input amplitude. i wish that, i make what i want to report clear here. pls help me. how to solve this problem? thanks all.

anyone can help me, i'm really very confused. thanks all.

any ideals, or related advice? thanks all in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.