Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Controllers - Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, new here :)

I'm in search of a 3-axis stepper motor controller for as little money as possible. Be it prefab'd, or DIY, I'm open to both options. Microstepping would be nice as well, but is not necessary is the price is right. :)

As of now, I was looking at HobbyCNC PRO Chopper Driver Board Kit (located HERE).

I would preferably like to make something, just for the learning experience, but would go for a prefab'd unit, as mentioned above. I'm looking for the cheapest, yet still reliable, controller that I can find.

Thanks in advance for the help, lemme know if I missed any information :)

- Pyro

You are searching for a motor or a motor controller or both?
Raoof

ark5230 said:
You are searching for a motor or a motor controller or both?
Raoof

I've found the motors that I am planning on using. Their specs are as follows:

COIL: 3.6V/2A/1.8ohms/2.5mH
TYPE: 2Phase Unipolar, 6 lead
STEP ANGLE: 1.8deg.
127oz/in holding torque

Sorry for not mentioning that before :)

I dont know if they provide tailor made controller for this. You can design one. The four windings are to ge energised in the following order
0 0 1 1
0 1 1 0
1 1 0 0
1 0 0 1
0 0 1 1
And similarly for the opposite direction reversing the order of rotation of bits in above table. Your current requirements are about 4 amps per motor at 3.6 volts.
Raoof

Raoof

ark5230 said:
I dont know if they provide tailor made controller for this. You can design one. The four windings are to ge energised in the following order
0 0 1 1
0 1 1 0
1 1 0 0
1 0 0 1
0 0 1 1
And similarly for the opposite direction reversing the order of rotation of bits in above table. Your current requirements are about 4 amps per motor at 3.6 volts.
Raoof

Raoof

Excellent, thank you for your help. I know very little about designing electronics, as I've only just began to delve into the subject, so is there any reading material you're aware of that would aid in my attempt to do so? Thanks again,

- Jesse

Any details as to the voltage and current rating of the stepper motor proposed to be used will be help to suggest precise solution. Because initially you planned for low voltage high current motors, there, the demands will be different.
Raoof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back