Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple verilog compiling question about includes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaccogoats

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using ncverilog and i'm curious if there's a way I can force an include on all my files. Say I have a directory full of files that need to compiled, and they all require a defines file. Is there some compile option to force the defines to be processed before trying to compile everything else, so that I don't have to go into every file and paste in the "include" line?

Also is there a way to compile based on what's needed? Like if a top level module is needs other modules to be compiled, can it recognize that and compile the lower level modules first, or would I just make a Makefile for that?

I'm using ncverilog and i'm curious if there's a way I can force an include on all my files. Say I have a directory full of files that need to compiled, and they all require a defines file. Is there some compile option to force the defines to be processed before trying to compile everything else, so that I don't have to go into every file and paste in the "include" line?

Also is there a way to compile based on what's needed? Like if a top level module is needs other modules to be compiled, can it recognize that and compile the lower level modules first, or would I just make a Makefile for that?

Hi, For the "include" file problem: you have some choice:
1): Add `include "include.file_name" in each of the RTL files you need these inlcude define or parameters.
2): If there is just some defines in the include files, you can choose to use ncverilog option "+define+" to define them one by one in ncverilog command line.
3): You can generate a file list first and put the include file in the first line (or line before the first RTL code need the defines or parameters). A file list will save you a lot of time at sim/debussy/DC compile.

For the compile and recognize top level module problem, there is no need by ncverilog to compiler top level module first. While it's a way to compile the top level file first.

At last, you'd better use "ncverilog -help" command to get more info.

Not sure about the exact syntax for NCVerilog. In ModelSim the switch to be included at command line goes like this:
Code:
+incdir+directory_for_include_files

There should be a similar switch for NCVerilog, if not the same one.

You will have to use:
Code:
`include "my_include_file.v"

In every file you use those constants.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Saurabh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor