Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Set pin load constraint

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruanwang

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

My friend ask me 3 questions, but I'm not sure to answer him.
1) What are the important constraints in a SDC file? why?
2) What are pin load constraints? why we use it?
3) we need to TAPEOUT in 4 days & we have both SETUP & HOLD violations – which one we fix first & why?

Please give me your view about them.
Thank you, BR.

1) What are the important constraints in a SDC file? why?
Fan-out. This should make sure, that fan-in of connected gates doesn't exceed the permissible fan-out of an output node.

2) What are pin load constraints? why we use it?
Same, but given in pF (10-12 Farad). Max. allowed load capacitance - in order not to exceed pin output current resp. power rating and slew rate.

3) we need to TAPEOUT in 4 days & we have both SETUP & HOLD violations – which one we fix first & why?
Actually both. Because of short time, I'd begin to repair the SETUP violations, perhaps the HOLD violations do not apply - if you are lucky.
And why? If SETUP time isn't respected, data aren't stored at all. Perhaps HOLD time is still enough - or can be prolonged by software changes (by adding another clock cycle). A relatively good chance to read back correct data.

hi erikl,
thanks for reply.
1) fanout is important. But how about clock definition?
2) I'm sorry that I cant catch up yr mean. could you explain more?
3) my friends said that we should choose HOLD. Because, we can fix SETUP by relax some margin (Ex: clock uncertainty, clock cycle...), but HOLD is not. How about yr idea?

ia anyone has other idea? please teach me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back