Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

series capacitor with dc motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssparks

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My sons toy nerf gun has both series and parallel capacitors connected to DC motors , can I wire it without these as it has stopped working ?

Re: series capacotor with dc motor.

in case of dc the caps are open ckted and so really of less help

can you post the images of the ckt for a closer view on the toy

You can first look existing EDABoard thread :

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/163960/

Capacitor on motor can eliminate arcing (sparks) which generate broad-spectrum radio (it interferes with TV, Radio, Phones, etc).

Hello ssparks,

DC-Motors don't have series capacitors, only parallel.

The "parallel capacitors" will be chokes, because capacitors will not let pass DC.

In combination of the chokes and the capacitors it will be a network circuit against interference in your radio.

If the motor not works, my experience says, that the fault is inside the motor in the control circuit, but not in the network.

Can you measure the voltage between the connections of the motor. If the voltage is present, your motor is broken.

Regards

Rainer

Rainer, many thanks for your answer, I will try what you suggest.
Regards,
ssparks.
PS. Your English is very good.
Hello ssparks,

DC-Motors don't have series capacitors, only parallel.

The "parallel capacitors" will be chokes, because capacitors will not let pass DC.

In combination of the chokes and the capacitors it will be a network circuit against interference in your radio.

If the motor not works, my experience says, that the fault is inside the motor in the control circuit, but not in the network.

Can you measure the voltage between the connections of the motor. If the voltage is present, your motor is broken.

Regards

Rainer

I think you meant the "series capacitor" will be a choke.

The choke may be blown. If so, it may be OK to just bypass it with a wire link.

Hello godfreyl,

I think you meant the "series capacitor" will be a choke.

Sorry, yes this was my mistake.

Thank you for correction.

Regards

Rainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back