Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Can I replace tantalum capacitor with electrolytic one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle1109

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a training panel for S-300 siemens PLC. The power supply has a broken 24V line. There's a fried tantalum capacitor and there's no similar one in the warehouse.

1706705370421.png

My question is that can I replace this capacitor with 10uF electrolytic one ?

Tantalum capacitors are electrolytic.
There are three commercial types of electrolytic capacitors: aluminum, tantalum, and niobium.

Tantalums are generally more stable and reliable, but you can try replacing is with an aluminum one, and see if everything works okay.

How did you burn the tantalum cap?
Are you expecting this condition to happen again?
What was the C, V rating?
What is the lowest DCR load? and freq?
You should never exceed 10% of V rating in reverse and expect it to survive.

There are a lot of advantages of Tantalum over aluminium electrolytic capacitors such as smaller size, higher frequency response, capacitance stability and low ESR etc, however in your application I expect that a aluminium electrolytic will work just fine.

pls. answer.

With connections through long thin tracks as shown in the photograph, I wouldn't think ESR was considered particularly important in this application. I've had tants blow up for no apparent reason and some when there has been instability on the supply line. Given the circumstances I would expect a normal wet electrolytic to work just as well, if in doubt, wire a 100nF ceramic across it to keep the total impedance lower.

Brian.

Are there electrolytic capacitors within ceramic capacitors values?, I mean is the ceramic capacitor is 10uf?, value important, so where the electrolytic capacitors with ceramic value?
--- Updated ---

Hi,

I have a training panel for S-300 siemens PLC. The power supply has a broken 24V line. There's a fried tantalum capacitor and there's no similar one in the warehouse.

View attachment 188272

I think you can, as long as same value and voltage

Last edited:
The LM2408 is a CRT driver, not a regulator. Do you have the right part number that
24 Vdc is going to ?

ESR major attribute of a bulk cap :

1706795100319.png

Designers, in general choose components and their technology for a reason.

So guessing on substitution can be the difference between " I know for a fact"
versus "I think it might". Also if its handling a lot of switching current can
cause excess heating of cap using one with higher esr......

Other considerations, if this is a life support or safety piece of gear I would take the
safe route.....

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

This does not explain all, it explains capacitance change over time, and that's it . It does not explain ESR, ESL, tan delta, reverse voltage tolerance, capacitance vs. voltage or temperature, leakage current...
It explains why we choose Tantalum vs. Electrolytic at a first glance.

It explains why we choose Tantalum vs. Electrolytic at a first glance.
Sorry, but that's totally wrong. You said "this explains ALL". If your only concern is capacitance shift over time, that's a pretty naive approach to picking a capacitor. Of all the characteristics of a capacitor, that's way down on the list of importance.

Sorry, but that's totally wrong. You said "this explains ALL". If your only concern is capacitance shift over time, that's a pretty naive approach to picking a capacitor. Of all the characteristics of a capacitor, that's way down on the list of importance.
You're right..

Hi,

View attachment 188272

ANSWER:

NO

You must choose a low ESR 10 uF Cap, not just ANY 10uF Cap.
Alum. e-caps vary 100:1 range in ESR from std. to low ESR.

And choose > 38V like 50V rating. High V rating is always better.

Last edited:
The board in the picture is a working board, the second board has a burnt area, and the person who wanted to fix the board didn't know how to fix it correctly and passed the board to me. And I made a mistake and soldered the -ve of the capacitor to the wrong area and it went into flames as soon as I plugged in the mains plug.

So I found it on Aliexpress, it's 10uF 35V tantalum cap.
--- Updated ---

The LM2408 is a CRT driver, not a regulator. Do you have the right part number that
24 Vdc is going to ?
I'm sorry it's LM2478 regulator. I wanted to edit the main post, but I couldn't.
--- Updated ---

ANSWER:

NO

You must choose a low ESR 10 uF Cap, not just ANY 10uF Cap.
Alum. e-caps vary 100:1 range in ESR from std. to low ESR.

And choose > 38V like 50V rating. High V rating is always better.

Thanks for the answer, I found it on aliexpress 5pcs for like 1$.
--- Updated ---

Designers, in general choose components and their technology for a reason.
Absolutely, electronics isn't simple field of engineering just like any other field in life, every thing is selected and confirmed for a reason.

So guessing on substitution can be the difference between " I know for a fact"
versus "I think it might". Also if its handling a lot of switching current can
cause excess heating of cap using one with higher esr......
I'm sure that I don't know these details about this board. So you're right I should just replace the broken one with the same type.

Other considerations, if this is a life support or safety piece of gear I would take the
safe route.....
Well, it's a simple 24V linear power supply circuit on a PLC training board.

Last edited:

So I found it on Aliexpress, it's 10uF 35V tantalum cap.
--- Updated Today at 3:13 PM ---
I'm sorry it's LM2478 regulator
Cheap price Quality unknown. ESR should be 2 ohms, if tested, which may be adequate.

You may be dyslexic ...
It's a standard LM7824

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back