Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequential code in PROCESS command

Status
Not open for further replies.

nio123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi evrybody

May someone explain(in detail) the meaning that in the PROCESS it work sequential?
(example will accepted with blessing)

PROCESS

sequentially means that the instruction you have written under process will run one by one...........
When some signal defined in the senstivity list will occour

Re: PROCESS

tarungupta83 said:
sequentially means that the instruction you have written under process will run one by one...........
When some signal defined in the senstivity list will occour

Thanks but if for example i have this program:

process( )

-----

if x then

something

end if;

if y then

something1

end if;

so it will make the two if sequiantial or parallel ?
and if it make it parralel why it call that the process work sequiantial?

Hi ,

All statements within a process are executed sequentially.

Hence as per ur example,the two if blocks will be exectuded in sequential.

If u want the two if statements to be executed in parallel u can specify them in two separate process statements.

Hi altair_06

I am not sure, because
the two if block get the clock in the same clock (concurrently)!! ?

VHDL and Verilog ARE NOT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES!!!

Sorry for been so kind to tell you this. :D

With VHDL and Verilog you MODEL circuits NOT programe it. So the "Compiler" will choose the best aproach (or the one that it has) for that Behavoir and that's it.

The process is special because of the "sensitive" list.

Hope this help you, and please understand that you are Modeling rather than programming.

hi

sequential is generally used to refer to instructins in a code ...

process is a word used with a running program that has inputs and outputs ...

regards

As your example is not have sensitivity list signal. So this process will always run.

In process, statement will calculate and update signal value at the end of process. So if first condition is not have any effect to second condition, your example seem to be parallel. The opposite way, if first condition effect to second one, it will show sequential as process meaning.

pahol said:
As your example is not have sensitivity list signal. So this process will always run.

In process, statement will calculate and update signal value at the end of process. So if first condition is not have any effect to second condition, your example seem to be parallel. The opposite way, if first condition effect to second one, it will show sequential as process meaning.

Thanks Paul

but regard the process have a senstive list ,like:

process( Clk,Rst)

-----

if x then

something

end if;

if y then

something1

end if;

end process;

So that is exactly what i dont understand : the process defined as sequential but
if the first condition is not have any effect to second condition, the example will be parallel so the process sometimes parralel and sometimes sequential ?
so what the meaning by saying the process is sequential

OK, as you new example. Clk and Rst is in sensitivity list, so this process will be execute at edge of Clk or Rst. At the edge only means that different time is -> 0.

I think you may not understand because you always use "signal" type? If you want to learn about sequential of process. You may try to make circuit by using "variable" instead.

"signal" type will be update value at the end of process. So you will see the output change seem to be parallel. But "variable" will update value immediately, so you can see effect of sequency.

Hope this help.

pahol said:
OK, as you new example. Clk and Rst is in sensitivity list, so this process will be execute at edge of Clk or Rst. At the edge only means that different time is -> 0.

I think you may not understand because you always use "signal" type? If you want to learn about sequential of process. You may try to make circuit by using "variable" instead.

"signal" type will be update value at the end of process. So you will see the output change seem to be parallel. But "variable" will update value immediately, so you can see effect of sequency.

Hope this help.

Thanks for your rapid answer,

So if i understand what u write if i use "signal" and because it update value at the end of process the definition of sequential of process become actually to be parallel (but if i use variable the definition stay sequential )

am i right ?

thanks again man

try to make two processes , one for each if statement, each having clock in the sensitivity list, that's to have them parallel
but they can't change the same signal, take care of that
this will cause race conditions

but they will be sequential if they are in the same process
whether they are both true or not

To noi123
That's right, I hope you already got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back