Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

semi rigid mounting manual for special kind of connector SMA-JB3S

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,i have the following connector from GWAVE,where the datasheet is attached in the link below.
The kit has a small teflon ring i have never saw before as shown in the photo below.
i tried to reach GWAVE for instructions.
Could you please help me with semi-rigid mounting manual for this connector?
Thanks.

1706003447019.png

Often those small teflon rings are included with connectors for delicate coax cables to prevent the pin from making contact with the coax's outer conductor. The coax's exposed center conductor goes through them before terminating in the pin.

Hello planarMetamaterials,It hard for me to imagine your words.
Could you please give some ilustrations for the situation?
Also if you could please recomend some mounting manual for this type of connector?
Thanks.

As I recall a clean cut to semi-rigid coax to a female pin needs 3 mm exposed for the wire. Ensure the wire fits the pin and file if necessary. Put a couple mm of wire solder in the pin hole and solder together using an alligator jack to hold the pin vertical. Insert heatshrink far away from heat (mainly appearance) Use some flux or pre-tin mating parts to ensure rapid soldering, as the teflon dielectric has a low melting point. It should then resemble photographs of assembled connectors.

Hello planarMetamaterials,It hard for me to imagine your words.
Could you please give some ilustrations for the situation?
Also if you could please recomend some mounting manual for this type of connector?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, there aren't many sources I know of that discuss the teflon ring. The best I can offer after looking around the Google for some time is these images from Digikey and the corresponding datasheets, which show the location of the ring in the resulting connector.

May be things become clear if you have the connector at hand. But no industry standard right angled SMA connector uses a teflon spacer or loose center pin as the present connector apparently does. And no quality connector comes without mounting instructions.

High quality 20 GHz SMA’s need the beveled Teflon insulator and the 5GHz or so do not due to air gap at 1/20 wavelength effects on s11. Shame on Gwave for lack of product support info.

for kicks measure S11 with dry connections and see what effect the bevel washer has with a firm grip on the shield to flange connections then solder it up if you are happy with 15 dB RL

use a proper torque spec on tightening it.

Last edited:
Hello Tony, I got the following attachet manual.
I have a semi rigid cable which fits the connector.
why they say that the middle part is a conductor? is it the wrong manual?
the middle part supposed to be teflon.
Thanks.
1706293130746.png

Attachments

• SMA-JWB2-1 Assembly Instruction (1).pdf
    251.9 KB · Views: 41
Interesting. If the instruction manual is the right one, the right angled connector would have an internal socket contact. Very unusual but possible and surely convenient. The teflon spacer has to be placed directly between soldered contact and cable end.
the middle part supposed to be teflon.
It's assumed that the cable has an insulating jacket. If it's not present the semi rigid outer cable is outermost.

Hello FVM, according to the manual in post #9 you say that, center contact(bare inner pin)needs to be 2.4mm,then 6-2.4=3.6mm needs to be inner pin with the teflon ring and then the outer coax?
Thanks.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back