Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating a semi rigid RF cable question

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have 0.118 semirigid and a connector described in the table bellow.
How much do i need to "free" the inner connector of the semirigid so it will be connected freely to my SMA?
Thanks.
1698671464064.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 14.43.55.jpeg

Quality manufacturers have mounting instructions, see e.g. respective document from Radiall

1698673214126.png

--- Updated ---

Btw., I'm not aware of 0.118" semi-rigid cable standard, usual gauge is 0.085 and 0.141.

Attachments

• SMA M10.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
It's simply outer (copper tube) diameter. I see that pasternack is offering 0.118" semi rigid in addition to industry standard 0.085 and 0.141, but it's surely less common. Respectively fitting connectors aren't avaible from most manufacturers.

Assembly instructions are either contained in full data catalogs (e.g. from Radiall) or provided as separate document for download. Catalog distributors like Digikey provide the documents for most connectors under product details.

Last edited:
Hello FVM,given the connector below ,how do i know that it coul fit the 0.118'' standart?
Also where can i find the pasternack manual for semi rigid SMA mounting instructions?
Thanks.
1698671464064.png

Hello, My connector data sheet is attached.
What dimentions are critical for the semirigid mounting?
Thanks.

Attachments

• SMA-JB2S.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 56
SMA-JB2S specifies no cable type or diameter. Linked Pasternack connector is said to match 0.118 cable, but it's SMA 2.9 rather than standard SMA.

regarding step 1 what is a pre tin ,does it mean that i need to remove outer casing for 6.48mm?
No, surely not.

I reviewed the photo of SMA-JB2S in post #1. You can see that the inner diameter matches 0.085 semi rigid. It's definitely not suited for 0.118.

May be that's the reason why you are asking strange questions about "removing outer casing".

I don't know but you should have semi-rigid flex cable RG-402 and appear to have sleeves rather than pins ( reverse polarity female sleeve for a male plug.) I have no idea what your frequency range and loss expectations are.

Check out various DIY Youtubes videos and ensure the end cut is clean and pin length leaves the right gap for the pin and dielectric to mate simultaneously. I drew a line in green for the dielectric mating. Yout interface will be different, but you want to avoid a dielectric air gap, over compressing the the nut and damaging the threads or sleeve.

My markup to Wiki photo below.

1698768371155.png

e.g.

search FPV & RG-402 soldering. be careful not to melt the low temp teflon. Pay attention to strain relief methods meet your needs.

Last edited:
Hello FVM,Could you please say why this connector is suited for 0.085 semi rigid?
if you could please share the section of the daa sheet that you used to get this conclusion?
Thanks.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back