Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART trace near rf trace

by88

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

as per the title,
isit ok is i place a UART trace near RF trace.

thanks

Depends.

Is the RF trace carrying 400 amps? 20000000 Volts? Or, is the RF trace extremely low level where crosstalk from the UART trace could cause a problem?

It's up to you to figure this out. There's no way anybody else can answer this.

Rule of thumb to avoid coupling that might cause resonances in RF path:
Coupling is small if the distance is larger than 3*line width and larger than 3*thickness between signal layer and ground layer.

One thing that I can say for sure, UARTs have some of the noisiest buses from all digital circuits.
So staying with your RF lines away from them is mandatory.

From experience:
ok near transmitting antenna or LO output
not ok near receiving antenna or mixer input/output traces - everything is amplified by mixer's opamp

If you "google" for UART (or USART) generated noise issues, it will return many related problems.

If you "google" for UART (or USART) generated noise issues, it will return many related problems.

I did a google search for "UART generated noise issues"

I´ve gon through the first 3 hits. All were about UART receiving noise, not sending out.
And even those issues were design issue, by letting the Rx floating or wrong wiring of a sitch mode motor control (noise source)

I did not look for more. ..

Undoubtedly every digital signal sends out noise. So does UART. But I´m not aware that UART is worse than other interfaces.

But as long as the OP does not give any useful informations the thread is rather useless.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back