Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Female SMA connector contacts

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to fabricate a microstrip circuit and I need to connect it to an antenna using female SMA connector. But I am confused about the pins in female SMA connector. This is the connector that I wish to use. However, there are 5 pins and I am not sure which one of these I am supposed to use.
Since in microstrip, I have a copper ground plane on one side of the PCB, I am inclined to believe that two pins on one side of the connector are grounds (pairs 1 and 4 or pairs 2 and 3 in attached pic) and center pin (pin 5) is signal. Am I right ? So, what are the other two pins ? Which one of the pins should necessarily be connected for my circuit to work ?
Can someone help me with identifying all the 5 pins ?
Thanks
1688564503055.png

Hi,

Your link points to a commercial site.
--> For technical information just use the datasheet informations and additional informations provided by the manufacturer. Don´t rely on second source informations.

But regarding your question... one even does not need a datasheet.

It´s rather clear that pins 1, 2, 3, 4 all are the solid brass GND.
Pin 5 is the signal

For best HF performance solder all pins to GND.

Klaus

Thanks for the reply. Please correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand, I should connect pin 5 to my copper trace and pins 1 and 4 through via to the bottom ground and pins 2 and 3 directly to the bottom ground. Am I right ?

This is an edge-launch connector. Tabs 1-2 and tabs 3-4
fit around the edge of a standard thickness PCB, and pin
5 then sits on top of the input trace to solder.

You might find, for hand cobbling, that standard 0.100"
PTH perfboard or a 0.100 / 0.156" edge connector rank
works out well for soldering.

Step Load Jig.png

Hi,

as @KlausST pointed out, all four pins (1, 2,3 & 4) are electrically connected togther. And the connector itself is an edge mount type one (edge of the PCB).

BR

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back