Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecting a gain value of 0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

emr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have an analog signal which is in a range of -5V and +5V. I want to use MCP3204. In its datasheet, it is said that the analog input range of ADC is 0.25V ~ Vdd. I don't know if it is possible but I thought that if I can apply a gain of 0.4 to the signal and then offset that signal with 2.5V, ADC can read that signal. The signal range will be -2V ~ +2V. So the range for the ADC will be 0.5V ~ 4.5V (Because the offset voltage of 2.5 is added.)

Is there any way to do this practically?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

gain is where Av > 1, so you want to use a resistor divider to acheive 0.4 of the Vin, then bias the input with the offset

Hi kam1787,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any IC's to do this job or can a simple voltage divider do this?

Let's say I did the conversion. How can I offset that voltage practically?

I'm new to circuit design. So these question may be silly to you but I'm really having trouble.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

You can do it like this with 3 resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back