Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] SCR / Thyristor sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrelux

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am starting to work on a pulsed power supply using SCR's as controlled rectifiers. Basically, my first intention is a to use a simple design: power transformer with dual secondary, 2 SCR's, filtering output choke and 24 VDC battery bank. A good old TCA785 will drive the SCR's.

Over current protection will be performed using a LEM sensor and a pair of OAmps.

I am looking for a SCR able to support 500 amps current during 200 ms and repeat this (forever) every 3 seconds.

if I have understood the SCR data sheet correctly, I can use the 180 RK1 SCR at 2000 amps during 200 ms, giving me a margin factor of 4.

Any comments ?

Attachments

• 180_RK1.jpg
    180_RK1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 90

That chart is for non repetitive surge current, like an initial turn on surge.

It boils down to heat transfer from SCR die to outside heat sink.

During a heavy surge you will still have to deal with the voltage drop across SCR. You can have several volts drop at high surge currents.

OK, in my case I have a 500 Amps repetitive surge current with a 200 ms duration and a 3200 ms period.
So, what is the best approach to size the SCR ?

For an exact calculation, you would need the SCR's complete thermal data. But you can try a derating of the non-repetitive surge current data. E.g. if the average SCR power dissipation is 50% of the allowed value, considering voltage drop at 500A and actual cooling condidtions, you would keep 50% of the non-repetitive rating. In addition, you should consider the fact, that continuous pulsed operation of power components causes thermal stress and results in a reduced lifetime, also without violating maximum ratings. So keeping a sufficient margin is always a good idea.

Thanks FvM. This is a good indication for me. Does anybody here has some experience about pulsed charger design for lead-acid banks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.