Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Schematic Capture across two PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

allsey87

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Schematic Capture across two PCBs in Altium

G'day All,

I'm designing a system which to save space (in the X and Y planes) uses a split Z plane PCB layout which is interconnected by standard 100mil (2.54mm) headers. The following image should help to clarify my confusing description:

board-model-3d.PNG

I'm using Altium and my question is how to go about this. Should I draw to separate schematic captures for both PCB planes? should I use some sort of hierarchical design? Is there away of linking a connector component between two sheets?

One thought which came to mind is I could use net labelling to show altium what I mean, but I think then the software will want me to place routes between the header and receptacle which isn't needed or possible.

Any ideas, tutorials, suggestions or experience with this sort of design welcomed :)

Cheers and best regards,

Mike

I have designed a number of board stacks and simply treat each one as a separate PCB with a connector. You just have to be careful to make sure you get the pin numbering & position right on each PCB bearing in mind one is on the top and the other on the bottom.

Keith

Agree with Keith, two schematics is probably best. The most common mistakes made during multi board stack ups is the connectors joining the boards. When designing multi board stack ups I lay all boards out as if I was looking down from the top at the finished stack. Then all interconections are on top of each other and can be viualy checked. (using clear film and a colour printer can help). All boards have a common 0,0 reference point, so again connector positions can be checked. This has cur down the number of silly errors that occur doing these sort of designs. The main ones being:
Connectors mirrored incorrectly.
Connectors numbered incorectly.
Connectors pins assigned incorrectly in the schematic.
Etc.
The other way done quite often for cheaper products or where boards are joined by flex cables, is to have all data in one schematic and lay the boards out as a pair in the overall panel. This is done where during assembly the flex cables are added during assembly and all the boards broken out and folded together to form the complete product. I have done the insides for some cameras and video cameras like this in the past. There are numerous problems with this method, the main one being that if one PCB on the panel is defunc, then the whole panel is scrap, not a problem during large volume production where assembly time is paramount.

Yes, I do the same - looking down from the top of the stack. The only inconvenience is that I prefer to have most components on the top layer when laying out - I can read the IDs more easily. On a very thin stack most components can be on the top of the top board and the bottom of the bottom board.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back