Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Salicide error while doing DRC with Calibre

Status
Not open for further replies.

nee.sarathi

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I encounter salicide error while DRC with Calibre. Can anybody clear what it is?

salicide blocking layer

It might help if you provided us with the details of the error.
Normally you can look up the error within the design rules.

what is salicide

Salicide is a layer used to increase the sheet resistance of poly, source/drain diffusions.. this layer will be put after the source/drain diffusions and before metal contact is done. This is layer which is put above the source/drain diffusions.. so you can connect the n-diffusion and p-diffusion just by abutting without the need of metal to connect. The salicide layer will form the connection between them.. this may help u in solving the error..

Thanks

Re: Salicide Error

Salicide is a layer used to increase the sheet resistance of poly, source/drain diffusions.. this layer will be put after the source/drain diffusions and before metal contact is done. This is layer which is put above the source/drain diffusions.. so you can connect the n-diffusion and p-diffusion just by abutting without the need of metal to connect. The salicide layer will form the connection between them.. this may help u in solving the error..

Thanks

Hi
Sorry but I beg to differ, yes salicide is used to increase the resistance of an area of poly. Silicide is placed over poly and CONTACTS to decrease the resistance, most processes allow a salicde block ie NO salicide to increase the resistance of the poly for a resistor. I am interested why you think you can connect active areas together using salicide and what advantage this has and how it would drc & lvs, I have never heard of it ( layout eng for 8 yrs)

Re: Salicide Error

Salicide is used to increase the resistance.
I am aware of the use of Salicide (or for that matter salicide blockage as pointed by k_90, because Salicide is a negative mask as provided by the foundries) in layouts of ESD protection devices.
The salicide is not added onto the surface of the ESD device to provide high resistance on teh surface for uniform heating. But the contacts and poly have the salicide below them to provide a low resistance path for current to flow down.

--cmos_dude

Salicide Error

Yup, this is how people get confused. Lets clear this up:

1 - Salicide is a Self-alligned silicide. To make silicide they deposit metal on top of the silicon and heat it up, causing the silicon to go down in resistance. Therefore Salicide is used to reduce the resistance of silicon, poly, etc...

2 - By default, they use salicide everywhere since for digital circuits this is an advantage. For analog circuits, we sometimes want high resistance (resistors). Also, MOS with salicide have much worse matching, therefore analog guys sometimes don't want the salicide. Hence they created a salicide blocking mask.

3 - The salicide blocking mask is also often called salicide in the layout engine. This can lead to confusion. Some people then assume that Salicide increases resistance, when in fact salicide decreases resistance. The salicide in the layout does increase the resistance because it blocks out salicide.

Greg

Salicide Error

in general, I/O cell will use salicide blockage to increase ESD performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back