Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RUBY AMP CIRCUIT (not turning on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step back and analyze the distortion. There are two probable causes for it, within the limitations of the LM386 itself:

1. the loudspeaker can't take the power level,
2. the battery can't supply enough current.

If you are using the loudspeaker 'open' (not in an enclosure) it may not be able to handle even the 0.5W maximum the LM386 can produce. Loudspeaker ratings are usually based on them being in a box. It may sound crazy but there is a reason for it, in a box there is isolation between the front of the cone and the rear. If there is no isolation the air pressure waves from one side of the cone take the shortest route to the other side which is around the edge. Remember that for air compression on side side there is equal de-compression on the other. Pushing a pressure wave out at the front sucks it back in at the rear! It results in the cone being too free to move and it deforms, producing distortion as it does so. Also consider that many loudspeakers made in a certain geographic area are rated by picking a random number just a bit higher than the random number their competitors used to give them a sales advantage.

The battery can also be responsible for distortion. To produce 0.5W from a 9V supply into 8 Ohms and assuming say 75% efficiency (I'm being kind to the LM386!) the peak current would be around 100mA. Standard 6LR61/6LF22 can't sustain full voltage under that load, even when new. As the volume increases the LM386 draws more current and that in turn drops the battery voltage. As the voltage drops, so does the maximum volume the LM386 can manage so you get the peaks being dropped more than the quieter sounds and that makes it sound distorted too. Ideally you need either a big battery or better still a regulated power supply that compensates for the extra current to maintain a stable 9V output.

Brian.

Why are you using a cheap old speaker when you said that a normal good speaker sounds fine?

I was only trying for fun. The fun thing of these proyects is to see whay a speakerphone sounds like with a guitar. Sometimes you get fantastic results, sometimes not (this seems to be one of them) but its a matter of taste. Some people like hifi supler clear stuff, some others like the sound of an old telephone speaker running un batteries! haha.

Some people like me do not like to hear the harsh "fuzz" and "overdrive" severe distortion produced with acid rock "music". Deaf people don't mind it.

Some people like me do not like to hear the harsh "fuzz" and "overdrive" severe distortion produced with acid rock "music". Deaf people don't mind it.
What??? I CANT HEAR YOU! hahaha. (saying this while stepping on some crappy fuzz guitar pedal at full volume)

Rob a speaker out of an old Tv, might work better.
And if you put say a 1000uF cap across the battery wheile it wont make it last longer it might make it so you can use it a little longer as its ac impedance will be lowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back