Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rs 232 iinterface with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTI

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use the RS 232 to interface my de0-nano board, so i can get readings from the accelerometer (adxl 345).
Does anybody know how this is possible?

You need to have an interface to bring the RS-232 levels (+/- 15 volts, max) down to the appropriate I/O levels for the board. Maxim, among others, makes lots of these types of chips. Then you will need to instantiate some kind of UART in your FPGA to read in the serial data. You can design your own or find one already done. Altera may have the IP on their site.

Thanks barry for your quick response.

best wishes
HTI

I don't think that the ADXL345 has a UART interface - from what I remember it's I2C/SPI only.
You'll have to serial read data from the device using SPI or I2C, and resend it with a UART that you'll implement on the CYCLONE IV logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.