Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found a program called "Eagle Legalizer" that (theorically) fixes those files. I tried it out with MPi files and It worked but there's no certainty that the output file is the same as the original. What I mean is that the program can change something in the board while trying to "fix" the file.

I've send a pm to MPi warning him about this and gaving him some advice in order to solve this minor problem.

Now we should wait until MPi shows up....

Well, MPi wrote me an email.

He sent me the files again but "fixed". Aparently he used the same program that I mentioned before (eagle legalizer) instead of using another version of Eagle. I hope the schematic and the board remain as the original.

Anyway, in a few weeks I'll build it so I'll let you know if it works or not. Probably it will work.

The files will be uploaded by MPi soon, so wait. I don't want to upload them because its his work, not mine. Something called "copyright" :p

Regards,
Gonza

Yes. I uploaded the redesigned and many times repaired board. I hope for it, will be good for everybody.
... and I don't have copyright! :D

Hi friends,
How can I dowload redesigned bord?

promate said:
Hi friends,
How can I dowload redesigned bord?

You can find it a few posts above...

Thats the MPi's version of the board based on Potyo's last design. You can use another version if you want (PICS, inchworm, etc). Try to read the entire thread if you can, you'll learn a lot.

By the way, I've just downloaded the file again. Its working alright! Thanks for your patience MPi.

Regards,
Gonza

Hi

I made a ICD2 USB clone from this forum, from wiky http://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page....

I have been based on PICS rev B.....the only difference is VPP circuit generation, I used a MAX232 to obtain VPP based on INCHWORM+ of **broken link removed** (tested 13,02 max) instead MC34063A chip...

I used the firmware for 877A and 4550....windows installs the driver for Microchip ICD2 Firmware Client...but MPLAB 7.6 can not connect to ICD

It seem to be than windows xp can communicate with 4550, but with 877A don't.

- I had tested MCLR pin in 877A and its working
-
..Can someone help me in this..??

Thankzzz

i changed 877a for another....

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!
...Connected
ICDWarn0054: MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2. Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!
...Connected
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

help.....

Hi to all!

I find many times that PIC18F4550's contents have been rewritten, the ICD2.5 has become a "Unknown Device".
Do you know that what is the reason.

Thanks for your reply.

JQL 2007.07.18

Hi..

Gonzakpo, i made PICs rev B version of ICD2 USB Clone, with MAX232 chip to VPP voltage generation...

Finally i have changed 4550.hex from PICs rev B for one extracted with lindau's utilitie from 4550BOOT.BIN & 4550OS.bin files....I obtain a ICD2_4550.hex file.with this, i am connected to ICD2 (877A because that pics support that dunction)...

But there is a problem....MPLAB tries to download correct OS ICD2, but it can't possible...

Can someone tell us why MPLAB can't download The correct OS to ICD2?..

This problem seems no matter over operation of ICD2....

After that, self test is failed ==> target VDD = 0.0 volts.....i figure than VDD control circuit is putting problems...i will review it....

14_1184775758.jpg

14_1184776075.jpg

Thank you very much.....

I hope show to you mi board next time, i don't have digital camera....

And, why PICs rev B 's firmware does'nt work?....

Bye....

JQL said:
Hi to all!

I find many times that PIC18F4550's contents have been rewritten, the ICD2.5 has become a "Unknown Device".
Do you know that what is the reason.

Thanks for your reply.

JQL 2007.07.18

That's why I split my ICD2 design into two parts. It has even happened with real Microchip ICD2s. I can hook my Inchworm+ to RS232 and reflash Unicorns 18F4550. The 16F877A firmware has never failed on me once you get the OS installed. I find it's easier to install the OS in RS232 mode the first time and then the USB will take care of it automatically.
**broken link removed**

@terka

Which uC are you using?

Are you powering the uC from an external DC source? If not, check the power target from the ICD option. Maybe that's why your ICD isn't working....

Sorry for my "simple" sugestion. Probably you've already tried that. I'm afraid I can't help you anymore, I really don't know how PICS ICD works...just a basic knowledge.

Good luck!

Hi...I use 18F4550 & 16F877A.....
I tested VDD circuit (resistors & BC557) without ICs, it's OK...
16F877A
=======
RA4=GND (0 V) ==> VDD= 4.99V / RA1=2,491V...OK
RA4= 5V ==>VDD=0, RA1=0 .... OK
=======
It seems to be than 16F877A doesn't control RA4 like must be....or 18F4550 doesn't send the correct comand to 16F877A due to BAD OS in 4550&877A...
I say this because MPLAB tells me:
CDWarn0031: MPLAB ICD 2 contains the incorrect operating system for the selected device.
however, reading the asm code for 16F877A OS, I Have following code..

L0751: BCF 5,4 ==> put 0 on RA4
CLRF 1 ==> CLEAR TMR0 register
BCF 0xB,2 ==> clear TMR0 Interrupt FLAG..
L0754: BTFSS 0xB,2
GOTO L0754
BCF 0x72,4
RETURN
L0758: BSF 5,4 ==> put 0 on RA4
CLRF 1
BCF 0xB,2 ==> clear TMR0 Interrupt FLAG..

I didn't find other place where TRISA is set to RA4 as output....i don't knopw if I have in the correct direction...
When MPLAB say that, it means 4550 or 877A ICs, or the proyect target board??

=======

Other question....

What must be the correct OS version?
I have this...
48_1184798613.jpg

Some support????

Thank yo

Added after 1 hours 33 minutes:

HI....WOW

I found the problem..reading The ICD2 Help, Target VDD= low when Target VDD is disabled, idem for MCLR VDD...
Then, i enabled Power Traget from ICD2 and right now I have SELF TEST PASSED..

I'm happy...jajajjaja

27_1184801181.jpg

70_1184801204.jpg

38_1184801223.jpg

But I still have to don't download the OS to ICD2....

Thak to all..

My ICD2 clone uses a MAX232 for VPP, USB power &/or External power to LM7805...no DC-DC converter..

Bye

Gonzakpo said:
@terka
Are you powering the uC from an external DC source? If not, check the power target from the ICD option. Maybe that's why your ICD isn't working....

terka said:
HI....WOW

I found the problem..reading The ICD2 Help, Target VDD= low when Target VDD is disabled, idem for MCLR VDD...
Then, i enabled Power Traget from ICD2 and right now I have SELF TEST PASSED..

I'm happy...jajajjaja

You're welcome !, don't mention it ! ...... jeje

Hi...well...

My ICD2 USB Clone is working....My interest right now is to know if file: ICD05010401.hex (OS for 18F estended - include 18F4550) can be burned directly in 18F4550 without passing by ICD2...I mean, ICD05010401.hex is only 27KB..

I say this beacause I am having problems with download OS to ICD2 using MPLAB..

ICDWarn0031: MPLAB ICD 2 contains the incorrect operating system for the selected device. Would you like to download the correct operating system?
ICDWarn0030: MPLAB ICD2 is about to download a new operating system. If MPLAB IDE is just starting, it will appear to "hang" at the splash screen. Please be patient. MPLAB IDE will finish it's intialization after the OS is downloaded. (Note: You may wish to select to ignore this warning in the future.)
Downloading Operating System
ICD0042: API: Error response (Framing Error (0x01))
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0024: Communications: Failed to write ('$7F00
' - 6 of 6 bytes - Windows::GetLastError() = 0x0, 'Operation finished succefully.
' - USBCOM = 0x1)

Dou you know it?

Thank you...

blueroomelectronics said:
That's why I split my ICD2 design into two parts. It has even happened with real Microchip ICD2s. I can hook my Inchworm+ to RS232 and reflash Unicorns 18F4550. The 16F877A firmware has never failed on me once you get the OS installed. I find it's easier to install the OS in RS232 mode the first time and then the USB will take care of it automatically.

@blueroomelectronics
and all

Thank you for your reply and the img. It's very good.

PIC18F4550's contents have been rewritten, that is well-known common fault in ICD2 with PIC18F4550. But where is the reason in hell?

If the reason is known, then the problem will be solved.
Most of ICD2 with 4550 are build on one board After all.
Set our hope on help and guidance from more proficients.

JQL 2007.07.19

Hi all...

I've designed my own ICD2 board, based on the schematics from potyo. (THX for that !)

After building up, all but the debugging mode is working. I can connecet to the PC, and programm the target. i even can reset and single step the target. If I set a breakpoint which is near the current location, i even can jump to that by pressing the play button.

But whenever i try to run the target, (the busy led should flash in that mode) it is starting, but after several seconds the busy led stops flasging and MPLAB lose connection (and screwes up).

At this point i measure no activity at the USB D+ and D- lines. Also there is no activity on the PSP between the 4550 and the 877A. The only way to get it back to work is to disconnect it from the PC, (Mplab is reacting again if i do this) to close MPLAB, connect again and open MPLAB again.

I've tried to give additional 100nF caps to both PICs, I switched to external power supply, i dissabled the vpp source because of possible emv problems, but no success.

My ICD2 screwes up in debugging mode and i don't know why...

Any ideas.. ?

potyo ?

.Franky.

If it resets while debugging you're drawing too much power from your USB port. anything over about 100ma on your target will cause a debugger reset. Switching on as little as 8 LEDs at 15ma each can be too much and the USB power might sag.
Fix is not to use the USB to power your target.

blueroomelectronics said:
I find it's easier to install the OS in RS232 mode the first time and then the USB will take care of it automatically.
@blueroomelectronics
and all

ICD2 with 4550 are build on one board, and with USB only, then what we ought to do ?

Thanks for your reply.

JQL 2007.07.20

Hi

I have FRAMING errors , i can't burn a hex in a PIC...why? if ICD2 is connected to MPLBA succefully and it passed the self test.....buuuuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back