Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
jajistenem

I think you are misunderstood 4550 power functionality:

VUSB pin 37 should always have 3.3V, it can't have 2.3V or 0, it must be 3.3V
With 5V power source, internal regulator must be enabled!

Here is what you should have

[/quote]Original ICD2 by Microchip is made with 877 and firmware is BL010101.hex. Can you explain a little bit more this with 4558 and 877.[/quote]

no... it doesn work for me, i also tried the RS232 ICD2, but it didn work too. Maybe i have some problems with my PC´s or i need to try with the 877A, i made both icd2´s in prto, PCB and nothing, mplab and windows recognizes them, but says that can´t manage them. error comunicating, downloadig operating system or checking the PIC to debug or program. nna buy the 877a and try again, i will keep comenting. see in a few days...

to jjajistenem:
u don supply usb to pin 37 k? listen to andy.
n ur unit should operate the same way with o without external power supply k?
i spoilt one of my 4550 that way.. u should be lucky if its not.

to gameoso:
877 uses different firmware from 877a. just make sure u supply stable power to the pic. it SHOULD work with the right firmware (i think u think u did for ur 877 and not 877a). unless theres problem with ur connection o something. try checking the schematic again. 1st try with only the rs232 communication using stolz circuit. if u can get the ic working, then u just need to interface it with 4550 again. good luck.

X4 is a jumper to select what?
It was an idea to isolate the icd2's MCLR from target's MCLR during idle state. But the idea was wrong, the program already runs, when MCLR raises to the required level (when the Vpp was connected through 4066). So i have removed this jumper in my next schematic.
What is X2 and X3 meaning?
I have placed these jumpers to adjust the Vpp voltage. You can select 4 voltage levels with 4 combinations of these jumpers. These jumpers are replaced with digital pot.
There is any limitation in tolerance on any component (1% or it's ok with 5%-10%)??
In my last schematic you can see the tolerances. Others are not critical, you can use 10% resistors.

I have experienced, that its hard to find 74AHC126 chips. You can eliminate the problem of the protections diodes on the 74HC126's inputs by adding 1k series resistor to every input, and using led diode on the targets vdd to reduce overvoltages on these pin when you use 3.3V target devices. The output connector pinout was reversed, now it is fixed. I've found the right pinout in this pdf: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51265e.pdf

Attachment removed, you can find it in this post:

Hi!

Potyo:

- And what about 74hc4066 power supply?? It is connected to Vpp, and the datasheet says that the maximum power supply is 10V. Do you have a 74hc4066 or a cd4066??

- I see that you put a diode (D3) at the colector of transistor, I think it is a good idea.

- Have you tested it with a 3v3 device? I'm waiting for my explorer16 board, then I can start to build my ICD2...

Thanks a lot

Regards,

togarha

@potyo:

Why do you use 74hct125 and 74hc126 buffers connected parallel? It doesn't make any sense.

Secondly, what for do you use LT1172 instead of MC34063 ? MC34063 is cheaper and has enough power.

Thirdly, what for are these additional resistors for these buffers? When I look at V1.1 or v2.3 version on www.mcu.cz there is no need for such a combination. And this version from chechish site works perfectly, I made it (v1.1).

These reasons stop me from making this version. In my free time I'm making my own because none of these schematics is normal. Look, you made forth or fifth circuit that is "strange".

I would make place for potentiometer under MCP41010 in case of not having/using it. And the most simple thing, please tidy up the circuit board, it's messed up and doesn't look nice. Besides you made great work, schematic is helpfull for me.

Greetings

Adam

Hi!

I try to answer some of your doubts (i think i know the answer, if I am on error, i am so sorry).

Why do you use 74hct125 and 74hc126 buffers connected parallel? It doesn't make any sense.

Because they are in the chip, then why don't use them, if you don't use them, there is no problem, connect unused input buffers to gnd and no problem...

Thirdly, what for are these additional resistors for these buffers? When I look at V1.1 or v2.3 version on www.mcu.cz there is no need for such a combination. And this version from chechish site works perfectly, I made it (v1.1).

It is explained in the last link from microchip that potyo puts in his last post

Regards

togarha

togarha said:
And what about 74hc4066 power supply?? It is connected to Vpp, and the datasheet says that the maximum power supply is 10V. Do you have a 74hc4066 or a cd4066??
I have M74HC4066B1 from ST Microelectronics. You can use MC74HC4066 or MC14066B from Motorola or CD4066.
togarha said:
Have you tested it with a 3v3 device? I'm waiting for my explorer16 board, then I can start to build my ICD2...
I have tested it with 5V devices at lower voltages. Works fine up to 2V.

szlovak said:
The buffers are already in the chip. It's usage doesn't cost anything.
szlovak said:
Secondly, what for do you use LT1172 instead of MC34063 ? MC34063 is cheaper and has enough power.
You can simply replace the LT1172 with MC34063. Both has the same feedback voltage, practically you need to change only the pin connections. In my country LT1172 is more available.
szlovak said:
Thirdly, what for are these additional resistors for these buffers?
In my previous post i have answered this question.
szlovak said:
When I look at V1.1 or v2.3 version on www.mcu.cz there is no need for such a combination. And this version from chechish site works perfectly, I made it (v1.1).
Have you tested the circuit on www.mcu.cz with target running at 2V? Buffers and these complications are required for low voltage devices. You need to make bidirectional level translators with parts available in any shop. There are simple level translators for ex. at TI, but you can't find it in local stores.

Added after 12 minutes:

Thanks togarha

I think, you understand my solutions.

Hi!

potyo:

I think I understand your solutions, only one thing, what is the meaning of X5??? I think is a jumper to have always conected PGC & PGD to ISP_PGC & ISP_PGD, or to have it controlled, but, there is any problem to have it always controlled?

How feedback power control works? pic puts an exact value in digital pot or increments and decrements its values?? If increments and decrements, I think that resistors in feedback are not necessary to are 1% tolerance...

regards,

togarha

togarha said:
I think is a jumper to have always conected PGC & PGD to ISP_PGC & ISP_PGD, or to have it controlled, but, there is any problem to have it always controlled?
ICD2 doesn't place these pins to High impedance on idle state. If you want to use icd2 for programming only, and target's PGD and PGC pins are used in the target board as outputs, then the target can't drive these pins to H or L state, because, icd2 forces it to one state. When the jumper is in the right state, then icd2's pins and target's pins are connected only when the MCLR is near Vpp.
But for debugging these pins must be always connected (left state).
togarha said:
How feedback power control works? pic puts an exact value in digital pot or increments and decrements its values??
Increments and decrements.
togarha said:
I think that resistors in feedback are not necessary to are 1% tolerance...
Yes, i agree.

I posted this question in another thread, so excuse me for posting it again?

Some icd2 clone does not have the 74ahcxxx buffer, so do they work fine with all 5V PIC? My clone does not work with dsPIC30F4013 (i dont use 74ahc buffer).

When i used a new chip, everything was ok, then i closed MPLAB and opened it again, icd2 cant recognize my dsPIC (device id=0x0), it still works fine with some 18F chips. is it caused by the absence of the buffers?

HERE is my circuits, the first ICSP serial, i made the PCB, for the secon, i did it on a protoboard, i see some diferences, but iignore why, the second version is the stolz circuit, and the first one is Snail Instruments circuit, in both cases i modified the power suply for LM78XX regulators, both don worked on my 3 PC & laptop. The USB version i made, was the art proyect. here some pics of them. I always get the same types of erros:
conected, but can´t perform the operations....

hi, i just finished do the PCD for the old and simplest ICD2-rs232, i will try it first, and i will check if its succesfull, and comment about, then i will try again tehe USB versión....

I have some difficulties to understand your schematics.

To wizpic (old post):
I found two resistor in parallel, is it possible that it's introduce some error?
**broken link removed**

To Andy_123:
Why do you connect 877-RA1 to 877-RA3, do the pins need the same voltage at the same moment?
**broken link removed**

What are the differences between icd2's Vpp (DG411) and pics's Vpp (BC557, BC547 and 1N5819)
**broken link removed**

The newbie's question: Is it important the values of the cap connected to the quartz (22pF 27pF 33pF)?

Potyo is it really necessary the buffer on your schematic?
Your schematic is complex for me.

Thanks a lot

Sorry to my bad english.

pingouindunord said:
What are the differences between icd2's Vpp (DG411) and pics's Vpp (BC557, BC547 and 1N5819)
Nothing.
pingouindunord said:
Potyo is it really necessary the buffer on your schematic?
Yes, the buffers are necessary for targets running at lower voltage.

Why do you connect 877-RA1 to 877-RA3, do the pins need the same voltage at the same moment?
In original ICD2 RA3 pin monitors +13V line while RA1 monitoring Target Vcc
My version just supplies ~2.5V to these pins to make ICD2 firmware happy.
It would be better to monitor these voltages separately like real ICD2 does.

DG411 version is closer to real ICD2.
DG411 also has internal resistors to protect target from surges.

Is it important the values of the cap connected to the quartz (22pF 27pF 33pF)?
You select cap value based on crystal requirement.
Most of crystals require 22-33pf, but I used some crystals that require 47pF caps

no people, sorry, but it continues givving me the next comments:
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Downloading Operating System
ICD0042: API: Error response (Command Failed (0x07))
...Download Operating System Failed
ICD0024: Communications: Failed to write ('$7F00
' - 4 of 6 bytes - Windows::GetLastError() = 0x0, 'La operación se ha completado correctamente.
' - USBCOM = 0x0)
ICDWarn0054: MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2. Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Is exactly the same for USB and rs232 ICD2. What can be?... :(:cry::?::?:

The PIC u use between version 'a' n non 'a'? maybe the schematic that u use is a bit different from other due to ur own modification? wrongly connected wires? faulty chip? try wit multiple diff chips. some mayb damaged o problematic.

i only modified the schematis for change the PSU, to use regular parts on my area, 13 v for Vpp, 5 v for Vdd and 5.6v Zener+1 diode for MCLR from serial pc port. So i can´t understand where is the problem. i will keep analizing them, i have made already 4 versions.... all of them, i used teh pic16f877 instead of 876

Added after 54 minutes:

how exactly i must congigure mi COM port? and for usb, is needed some special requiermenets?:?::?::?::?:

for serial, u need to go to device manager, under ports, choose which COM u using, then click on tab "port setting". set bits per second to the one u would be setting in mplab. then choose advanced. then disable use fifo buffer. then ok all the way.. i think u'll need to restart pc too.
42_1157885397.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back