Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi jajistenem,
check diode D1, maybe it’s shorted or soldered in reverse.

best regards
stroma

hi!
D1 is OK!
I used : 10BQ060 , DIODA SHOTTKY SMD 60V 1A. (all diode)
I think my problem is a switching PSU, but all voltage OK (Vcc=4.9v, Vpp= 12.5V)

THX stroma

Now my icd2 is recognize by mplab, i changed the BC547 to 877A MCLR and

Int Art said:
select mplab icd2 in debugger >> select tool
then debugger >> download icd2 operating system

Is still unstable but i will add 100nF on 877A MCLR pin and power pins.

predrage said:
Hi gameoso. I think that bootloader named pic16f877_boot.hex is for 877A but I'm not sure. Because you have 877 not 877A you should use BL010101.hex. You will find it in mplab's directory.

ths for answer, but i tried it too and nothing hapens it continue giving me the same errors. I also am using the 4558 for test some USB firmware and works ok, and the 16f877 works well to. Do you think this "new" ICD2 (USB) don´t work anymore withe the NON A 877?

to pingouindunord: i replaced the 10k resistos (pull up) by the connection described in the schema.yesterday i get it to be recognized by the windows drivers. but after a while i lost it again... what changes did you make? meanwhile im doing the int_art pcb.....

to mendes: i add a 100nF cap between the 4550 and 877A (between vcc and gnd)

gameoso said:
ths for answer, but i tried it too and nothing hapens it continue giving me the same errors. I also am using the 4558 for test some USB firmware and works ok, and the 16f877 works well to. Do you think this "new" ICD2 (USB) don´t work anymore withe the NON A 877?

Original ICD2 by Microchip is made with 877 and firmware is BL010101.hex. Can you explain a little bit more this with 4558 and 877.

Hi again!

My icd's problem:
When i plug power in icd (not USB), the USB - led's at times light. (not everitime)
By this time V_USB is not zero, it is about 2,4V, and the V_CPU is 3,4V place of 5V.
This incident to end, if i short (a moment) V_CPU and V_USB. After it is work fine.
Please HELP me

REGARDS,

to: jajistenem
try soldering a cap 0.1uF between vdd n vss for the 4550 n 877a pins. (11 n 12 OR 31 n 32). make sure all connections are in good condition.

to everyone:
finally, i got my icd responding... but another prob that i face. i cant seem to blank check o varify o program an chips. although it can detect the right chip in place, can erase the chip, but can check. error at 0x00 something like that,. but when i try checking with my other programmer, everything seems to be ok. but i cant program the chip at all. does unstable VDD o VPP will result to this error?

Hi fms

THX your mail.
I assembled 2 capacitor (100nF) 877 and 4550, but nothing to change.
Anihing else?

Hi Gabor (jajistenem),

At least two errors in your schematic. Firs of all the power supply for PIC18F4550 should be 5V not 3.3V. If you check the voltage/frequency diagram, 3.3V is too low even for LF4550 at 20 MHz. Second, you connect VUSB, pin 37 at 4550 to +VUSB. That's an output, internal voltage regulator and 220nF to ground should be enough. Third, U3A should be AND gate not NAND, that's what is used in the original ICD2 from Microchip but that part is useless anyway since you can not enable LVP with ICD2. U5 is hot? Could be ,specialy if is SMD, depends on the input voltage. I use 11 V and mine is hot too. 200mA is too much though. I recommend you the following schematic to generate 13V variable. I use it and is very good, if that part sink too much current. Not to mention that you can supply it from the input voltage up to 12V.

Cheers,
Miti

first of all.. when u plug ur icd into the usb, is it detected in the hardware manager?
secondly, then only u open mplab n connect to icd2(normally i try to connect under programmer). what were the msgs?
thirdly, try clickin programmer-->settings. under the status tab, wat do u see? is it connected o not connected?
4th, if its connected, then try clicking on Run Self Test. what were the readings? if values are high or low, then click the power tab n update the readings.
Mayb that would help us more.
but 4.9 and 12.5 seems to be ok to me.

Hi

when u plug ur icd into the usb, is it detected in the hardware manager?
>> yes

what were the msgs?
>>> CDWarn0034: Please ensure that your system's serial FIFO buffers are >>>disabled.
>>>Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
>>>...Connected
>>>Setting Vdd source to target
>>>ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x86, read=0x0)
>>>...Reading ICD Product ID
>>>Running ICD Self Test
>>>...Passed
>>>MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

if values are high or low, then click the power tab n update the readings.
>>>Target Vdd = 4.02V (i checked multimeter it is 4.92V)
>>>Target Vpp = 12.06v (multimeter > 12.56V)
>>>ICD2 vpp = 12.62 v (multimeter > 12,5 V )

If i used internal power, and i make to manual reset 18f4550, it works fine.
THX for all for miti, fms...
Regards

jajistenem said:
>>>ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x86, read=0x0)
The problem is between the target and the 877. If you can, remove the 877 and check the connections manually(for ex. short connect ra5 with vdd, change the logical levels on the rc4 and rc5, and see what happens on the targets pgd) If you can't remove the 877, then search for short connections and breaks between 877, HC126, HC00 and target.
jajistenem said:
>>>Target Vdd = 4.02V (i checked multimeter it is 4.92V)
R17 or R18 is bad.

Hi!

First of all, congratulations for your work, I think is an incredible work to clone ICD2. I have some questions (sorry if I don't ask with sense...)

Potyo:

I'm seeing your schematics and I have some doubts:

- You conect the power supply of 74HC4066 to Vpp, but seeing the datasheet of 4066, the max power supply supported is 10V, and Vpp can go up to 13V, then we have a little problem, isn't it?

- X4 is a jumper to select what? Because I see that central pin is target Vpp, isn't it? And the other pins are icd2 Vpp (one directly and the other by 4066), then I don't understand very well what is its function (sorry for my poor understanding...).

- What is X2 and X3 meaning? And isn't possible to reduce this jumpers to only one? If always put one or the other, we can have a 15k resistor in parallel with another 15k resistor with a jumper, then when the jumper is not placed, we have 15k resistor, and when the jumper is placed we have 15k resistor in parallel with 15k resistor, then 7k5 resistor. May be is a fool idea, because I don't know what's the meaning of this resistor (I don't see anything in the datasheet, may be I skip this part), but if it isn't so small resistor we can reduce one jumper. May be we can have no placed jumpers and the idea isn't so good...

- There is any limitation in tolerance on any component (1% or it's ok with 5%-10%)??

Sorry for all questions...

Thanks a lot

Regards

togarha

PS: Sorry for my poor english

jajistenem:

Your schematics has 2 typical mistakes:
You powered 4550 from 3.3V source - this is incorrrect, it must be 5V, you can simply remove U11 and put a jumper IN-OUT
You connected VUSB power line to VUSB pin - this pin is output and required only a capacitor. I've seen 4550s damaged because of this incorrect connection.
4550 has internal 3.3V regulator and no external circuits needed.

Another option is to leave 3.3v power As Is and disable internal regulator using configuration bits, but I never tried this.

to potyo, don think ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=ExpectedID, read=ReadID) i regarded to the connection between 877 n 4550. its because theres no target which present.

this is wat i found in icd2 help file;
MPLAB ICD 2 has read the device ID of the target device and found it different than expected for the device type selected within MPLAB IDE. If ReadID is 0 then it is likely that the target device is not powered, not connected, or simply missing. In any case, this is just a warning that MPLAB ICD 2 has not found the expected target device. Click OK to proceed.

to jajistenem; u can simply ignore this. else u have to connect the target VPP,target VDD, VSS,PGD n PGC to another chip in place. regarding to power part, listen to potyo n andy. what type of inductor r u using for L3? all part surface mounted?

to togarha:
if u r afraid to use 74HC4066, then u can simply use CD4066B instead. same purpose. 15-20V operation.

THX for all!

I ececute your's tip. The USB works better. Yust one problem to stay to me, namely, that if i used internal power, Vusb not zero. It is about 2,3V. I think it is bad, because MCLR (18f4550) aslo connected vusb. It is make somthing, because USB led lighting (yust a little).
Regards

IF 4550 powered from 5V, capacitor C18 installed on VUSB pin and you reading less than 3.3V, then your 4550 was damaged, and needs replacement.

Andy

IF 4550 powered from 5V(no, i use internal power. If i use internal power, 4550 is not actived (not powered) ), capacitor C18 installed on VUSB pin (yes it is) and you reading less than 3.3V,(about 2,3V, it should be 0V ) then your 4550 was damaged, and needs replacement.

I don't think so it was damaged, that when use usb( powered by USB), it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.