Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody had built my version?

Here is my last schematic (the second assembled). The 74HC4066 and the X5 jumper is to place the PGD and PGC pins to high impedance during idle state. If you short connect X5's pin 1 and 2, then icd2's PGD and PGC pins will be in HiZ. This is useful, if you want to use the target's PGD and PGC to another purposes, and want to use icd2 as programmer only.
Short connecting X5's pin 2 and 3 will make the circuit to work as normal icd2.

Attachment removed. You can find the latest schematic and pcb here:

potyo:
Your board is very interesting. I think I can use that whit little modifications modifications. I will try it.
Thanks.
Cheers
Rodolfo.

Hi everybody!

Can anyone donate me a few points in order to download some of your schematics?
Thanks in advance.

two things I want to give all that are having problems with their boards -

first - ensure you have (working) smoothing capacitors on each side
of the power pins on your µC. I was not able to get anything to
work without them -

second - as far as I can remember - you couldn't low voltage program the 16f877
as the PGM pin is used - this pin is however not available
if the µC has been programmed in LVP.

hope this helps...

BR
Manuel

manuel1139 said:
work without them
Maybe this is the reason of instability. I have used 7x100n and 2x100µ on the vdd and 100n on the targets vdd. The 100nF ceramic capacitor is cheap, don't spare on it.

manuel1139 said:
two things I want to give all that are having problems with their boards -

work without them -
manuel1139 said:
I added a number of SMT capacitors to power pins of the 18F4550 and 16F877A chips when I built one of PICS' USB-ICD2. I was concerned that the bypass/decoupling was not sufficent in the original design. It was easy to add them directly to the pcb traces. The ICD has worked without any issues for many months now.

Cheers,

Adrian

pingouindunord said:
-and my quartz=20,255MHZ (is it OK, i don't have other quartz)

Hi pingouindunord, yes the crystal does matter, it should be exactly 20.000 mhz. You could probably find one in someold computer parts. It's where I got all my crystals and oscillators, particularly in the sound and ethernet cards.

Benjamin B. Roy

Device will not be stable for sure if you are not using correct crystal.
USB must have exactly 6MHZ after all dividers and PLLs

I can't recall any stablity issue with many devices I built.

Thanks, it's solved my problem, and thanks again to Potyo for the lot's of help...

How faster if USB ICD2 againt RS232 ICD2 while debuging?

szlovak said:
What you mean " everything is unstable"?

Remove coil at power supply, make simply short-circuit. It gave for me 0.250V drop, I've used wrong type of coil . And don't touch the circuit. It's not for touching :) Besides it works as it works. No problem with anything for me , tested on pic18f4550, pic16f872, pic 16f877 and A. It should work

Unstable, well when I come close with my hand USB led went out, PC sounded disconnect sound etc.

I replaced first choke and added another 100nF cap. under the 18F4550 between power lines next to the pins (i used 1206 SMD cap).

Now everything works like it should. I can even get close to the circuit with the hand :D

Thanks for the tip.

To all guys who claim unstable USB:

Do you have capacitor on VUSB pin (0.22-1uF) ?
Do you have anything else connected to this pin? - should be nothing.

Hello, i have built the pics icd2 clone and after just adding a pull up resistor (10K) i made it to be reconized as usb device and its stable (the usb led used to go on and off). I still have a problem, i messed up the instalation of microchip drivers. A this point when ai try to install, it sends out an error saying that it may allready be installed, then i connect the icd2 but only detects it as unrecognized usb device.Next ,i try the removal and the pc crashes on the part of assemblies. could anyone tell me how to resolvethis? thanks.

There are some problems with MPLAB 7.41, did you solve this problem completely?

Hi people, i made the Int Art´s ICD2 USB, but it doesn´t work :(... i vave used a PIC18f4550, windows recognizes it right. I also used a PIC18f877 not PIC18f877A, but i used the right firmware (i think): the pic16f877_boot.hex i downloaded it from this forum, but i can´t make it works. I tried on my PC1, on my PC2, on my PC3 and also on my LAPtop, but nothing. Also tried on mplab 7.31 and 7.41 but nothing...
It gives me this error messagges:
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICDWarn0054: MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2. Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
...Connected
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
ICDWarn0054: MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2. Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
...Connected
Running ICD Self Test
...Connected

Do you know what colud be the problem.
I checked the solders and seems are ok.
THX

Hi gameoso. I think that bootloader named pic16f877_boot.hex is for 877A but I'm not sure. Because you have 877 not 877A you should use BL010101.hex. You will find it in mplab's directory.

mendes said:
...after just adding a pull up resistor (10K) i made it to be reconized as usb device...

Hi mendes, where did you add the pull up which pin?

I've put a 20MHz quartz but now the device is not recognize.

hello pingouindunord. The problems is: i programmed the chips with the schema on lothar's page, the LVP. Used de WinPic800 program to do it, but at the end of programming, the option LVP in configuration of the chips remained activated eveytime. After checked the pcb, found a trail united, i rectified. Then, the icd2 was enabled to be recognized by windows. Since the light of usb keept going on and of, i guessed that the device was entering programming mode (perhaps due to LVP), so i added a 10K pull up between the pin 1 (MCLR) and the common VDD. that stabilized the device, but still,i can get it to be recognized by the drivers... Mean while i looked at the schema and pcb an realized that i overlooked some schema->pcb erros, for example: there is a connection between the pin 1 on 18f4550 that on pcb it doesnt exist.... i remember that some diferences betwen schema and pcb where posted where... i was moving to the design of int_art, i guess i´m going to check schema and pcb... i realy dont feel like making another pcb...

Hi!

I have finished my ICD2. (USB AND RS232 version,18f4550 is the usb chip)It works, but when use rs232 and internal power, the first 7805 regulator(from power) is very hot. And the current is high about 200mA.
Please Help me!
Gabor

It is my version...

Status
Not open for further replies.