Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi R2D1

In original schematic of ICD2 is used 74ahc126 ( as output ) - 3 psc and 74ahct126 ( as input ) - 2 pcs buffers. Unused buffer inputs are tied to GND.
OE pins of 74ahct125 trought 74ahc1g04 ( or 74ahc1g14 - I don't sure) go to OE pins of 74ahc126 and RA2,RA5. Input of third ahc126 is connected to RB7, output drive pin 6 of RJ12 and OE trought 74ahc1g08 - RB1&RB6.

regards
bendjy

My english bad..

original icd2 VPP generator SCH

Hi mamaboss!

I think the formulas in your pdf is not corect.
My original ICD2 has Vout1 = Vout2 / 2 .
I try to build same schematic with 34063 but without success.
May be I маке mistake in values of components.
In AN920-D.pdf from OnSemi.com fig.31 is near to sch from ICD2.

regards
bendjy

bendjy :

Thank you..

My formulas in pdf is not corect.

I edit and upload.

- 13V VOUT -
VOUT = 1.08 * (1+ R1/R2)
JUST POWER ON -> VOUT = 13.22V
RUN MPLAB & MPLAB ICD 2 Ready -> VOUT = 12.59V

Hi bendjy,

Thanks for checking. I checked my downloaded schematic and found the icd2_2.jpg very much like what you said. Searching this thread and found the post by stroma and your reply in page 12:

Is icd2_2.jpg correct after replacing NAND gate with AND gate? Is the resistors value correct? Some clone use 2 input buffers in parallel, this is not in original ICD2?

I note a F2 fuse near DG411, where is the fuse connected to?

Sorry for so many question!!! The difference between the clones is driving me crazy!

Hi R2D1

Closest schematic is 0430_004.pdf
Schematic is the same, only 74hc00 is 74ahc1g04 and NAND is AND. Resistor values is corect.
Buffers isn't connected in parallel.
The F2 is fuse from modular conn GND to GND of ICD2.

hope this will help you

regards
bendjy

bendjy said:
Hi mamaboss!

I think the formulas in your pdf is not corect.
My original ICD2 has Vout1 = Vout2 / 2 .
I try to build same schematic with 34063 but without success.
May be I маке mistake in values of components.
In AN920-D.pdf from OnSemi.com fig.31 is near to sch from ICD2.

regards
bendjy

This tool will help you to design Vpp generator using MC34063.

**broken link removed**

Hi bendjy,

Thanks for your great help!!!

Now I have enough info to create my own custom clone. :D

hi. Im quind of newbi and so far i´ve the pcb for potyo version built and im going to the assembling, but in the adress www.icd2clone.com i have another with the title-pics. My question is: wich one of them is more accurate?

Hello,

I am a new on the forum.

why don't use the origin circuit ICD2 and change Cypress uc by 4550. On the origin circuit there is 2 interfaces on Pc: RS232, and usb.
But there is on origin icd2 by microchip a ic mcp41XXX.

Why today of the release there isnot the same or similar ic?

In my on opinion: I have forget some element on this long post.

Al

Hi all,

I did a lot of reverse engineering on the ICD2 from the company I work for and I can say now that I have a very good serial clone. Looks like I have a newer version than the one I see on the picture above. It is made with MIC2145, MCP41100 and the resistors in the feedback are 10M and 820K. The Vmax with MCP shorted is 14.55V ( 50V?...no way.. the capacitor on VPP is 4u7/25V) . My clone has PIC16F877A, HC125 and HC126 to save two inverters and U3A which I see in the, so called, original document is an AND gate not and NAND gate. That's what is used in the original one too (74AHC1G08), but is not very important if you don't use low voltage programming. The VPP generator in my clone is LM2731 version Y and is very stable (and space saving). Now the interesting part is that I tried several MIN and MAX limits for the VPP but PIC allways adjusts the voltage to the same values. If I select PIC16F877 for example, it will set VPP to 12.40V. If I select PIC16F684 which needs a lower VPP it will adjust it to 10.97V so you just need to cover these limits. I have used MCP41010.
Now, after all this, I will ask a stupid question. Do you see any communication between MPLAM and PIC4550 if 4550 is not connected to PIC877 in ICD2?
Does MPLAB downloads something in 4550 every time you connect to ICD2?

Thanks,
Miti

Me again,

I did it, I built a module with PIC4550 and connected it to my serial ICD2. Works fine but sometimes fails enumeration. 100nF to GND on MCLR with 10K to Vcc makes it rock stable.
I would like to thank you all for your great job. If there's any way I can help just let me know.

Miti

al37 said:
Hello,

I am a new on the forum.

why don't use the origin circuit ICD2 and change Cypress uc by 4550. On the origin circuit there is 2 interfaces on Pc: RS232, and usb....

This in not original icd2 schematic! This clone schematic is reverse engineered from original icd2 pcb with some modifications like Vpp regulator and NAND gates /and bugs/. It was drawn and spread over the net from a friend of mine. He actually send me second version of this schematic which have fixed 3,3V target support.

best regard
stroma

Code:
He actually send me second version of this schematic which have fixed 3,3V target support.

please share the second version which fixed 3.3v target support.

best regard

hi nooknikz,
sorry but i can’t do that. i don’t have permission to publish his schematic. there is a separate thread regarding 3,3V target operation.

best regards
stroma

I'm following this topic for some time now (just reading). I made the ICD2 clone from PICS design. I have problems with usb part of the board. It is very unstable, if I try to touch the circuit with my hand the usb led starts to blink. Board was triple checked, measured all the pins were re-soldered. I successfully downloaded OS once, but everything is unstable. Any idea?

bungee- said:
I'm following this topic for some time now (just reading). I made the ICD2 clone from PICS design. I have problems with usb part of the board. It is very unstable, if I try to touch the circuit with my hand the usb led starts to blink. Board was triple checked, measured all the pins were re-soldered. I successfully downloaded OS once, but everything is unstable. Any idea?

What you mean " everything is unstable"?

Remove coil at power supply, make simply short-circuit. It gave for me 0.250V drop, I've used wrong type of coil . And don't touch the circuit. It's not for touching :) Besides it works as it works. No problem with anything for me , tested on pic18f4550, pic16f872, pic 16f877 and A. It should work

What programer (soft and hardware) used for bootloader (4550 and 877A) ?
With icprog i`cant doit. What else ?

medvonok said:
What programer (soft and hardware) used for bootloader (4550 and 877A) ?
With icprog i`cant doit. What else ?

i used Low-Voltgage In-System Programmer from
**broken link removed**

it's so easy you can make it in a protoboard as i did

Status
Not open for further replies.