Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help with PLD! I can't take it no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj8377

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pal16l8 create jedec

Hello all, I've been searching the net for what I need here, but I'm so frustrated right now that I can't make heads or tales out of any of it...here's the deal...

I need to condense the logic circuit in a design project I have here...I remember in college working with PAL's in the mid 90's...so I've been searching for a current version of a PAL chip and ran across SEVERAL different types of chips now offered. My dilemna is that I don't remember a thing about programming these chips...I downloaded PALASM, as this was the program I used in college, but I didn't recognize a thing there either...

What I need is to be able to put a logic circuit on one chip...what is the easiest way to do this? I found a guy who will burn the IC for me, but he needs the JEDEC file...all I have right now is a schematic of the logic gates...is there a simple program that can go from schematic, or boolean equation straight to JEDEC file?

Also, this logic circuit is very small, it's decoding the first 4 bits of an 8 bit ADC...so the design itself isn't complicated at all...I'm just looking for an inexpensive single chip and a relatively simple way to program it.

Any help you all could give would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Brian

pal16l8 jedec

Hello,
You can try to use WinCUPL of Atmel (It is not a software who can translate a schematic to JEDEC file, but it is easy to use). I think that if you had the schematic or boolean expression. You can translate easy it to JEDEC file in using WinCUPL.
Redards
Muoinho

Hi bsj8377,

I recomend taking a look at the www.latticesemi.com website. They have both fpga and cpld's that you can use. You can download their ispLEVER starter software for free. Their software allows you to design your circiut with schematic capture, VHDL and/or both. If you use only the schematic capture then you are limited to their logic library. However, it is pretty extensive with all of the basic logic such as AND gates, OR gates, MUX's, ect.

Once you go through all of the steps for either a cpld or fpga, the software generates a JEDEC file. Then if you have one of their evaluation boards you can program your chip from a parallel port on your PC.

Hope this helps
david119

Dear guys,

You may use the PLAN software which can be downloaded from internet. It can generate PLD Jedec code of PAL16L8, PAL20L8, PAL16R8, ...

I had been searching for long time and finally found this.

Regards,

Billlee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back