Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Terasic D8M-FMC Camera Module No UserGuide ?

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently purchased a D8M-FMC camera module to interface to a terasic dev kit with a FMC connector.
Terasic supplied me with a SystemCD for the camera module that included the Datasheet for the Omnivision OV8865 Rev 1D. In chapter 6, it gives a listing of the registers you can set. However this datasheet does not tell what most of these registers do. I've emailed Terasic Support and they have no clue even though they actually supplied a demo by setting all the registers, both pre-dsp and SCCB bus related registers. I asked them how did they know how to set them up? They don't know. I'm assuming there is a NDA there not talking about. Is there a user manual outside of this datasheet? I am missing a whole bunch of information. All I'm trying to do is flip an image, and it does flip, but the color information is washed, almost like a pink tint showing on the video display.

I recently purchased a D8M-FMC camera module to interface to a terasic dev kit with a FMC connector.
Terasic supplied me with a SystemCD for the camera module that included the Datasheet for the Omnivision OV8865 Rev 1D. In chapter 6, it gives a listing of the registers you can set. However this datasheet does not tell what most of these registers do. I've emailed Terasic Support and they have no clue even though they actually supplied a demo by setting all the registers, both pre-dsp and SCCB bus related registers. I asked them how did they know how to set them up? They don't know. I'm assuming there is a NDA there not talking about. Is there a user manual outside of this datasheet? I am missing a whole bunch of information. All I'm trying to do is flip an image, and it does flip, but the color information is washed, almost like a pink tint showing on the video display.

Hello, have a look at CameraVision 2 on GitHub and open an issue there. Few people know about register values, Terasic don't know a lot. At the end Omnivision only know all details.

Thank you I'll check it out.
So as it turns out, Terasic has a NDA with Omnivision regarding there CMOS image sensors. I questioned Terasic in a lengthy email, how did they know how to setup the 100+ shadow registers, and they claimed they must have guessed it. It's physically impossible to do that, so I once again asked them and they didn't dispute there was a NDA. They went back and was willing to setup these shadow registers for me but won't disclose any details.

I think they are not buying enough to have an NDA with Omnivision.
Terasic buy the cmos module (sensor+lens+focus coil) from kailaptech and that's all, they are not direct Omnivision customers.
I won't be surprised if they just copied from the Linux Kernel the initial registers config.
The official Omnivision SDK is providing an app with a GUI to setup things and then a table with values is generated.
To fine tune some things you have to send your hw to their lab where they have calibration targets, etc.. to properly calibrate the system sensor+lens.
Anyway to solve your issue just write to register 0x3820 bit 1 and bit 2. WARNING! Don't touch bit 0 and other bits. If you messed-up other bit you will get bad things. Read the current value, set the bit you want and write it back.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back