Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICKit2 Clone 5V/3.3V Clone Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

felix.ragav

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I managed to replicate this programmer, **broken link removed**. I programmed the 18F2550 with the latest firmware and the device is detected fine. I tried Programming a 16f628a and 16f84a today without applying any external power. the programmer for Microchip does not detect the PIC to which I have connected it to. Also PICKIT2 Software says, that the device could not be calibrated. I checked with MPLAB IDE for a answer and the software says :

Found PICkit 2 - Operating System Version 2.32.0
PICkit 2 Unit ID = oihoss
Target power detected ( 4.99V)
PKWarn0003: Unexpected device ID: Please verify that a PIC18F452 is correctly installed in the application. (Expected ID = 0x420, ID Read = 0x0)
PICkit 2 Ready

Is something wrong with the components or has the chip been programmed wrongly?

Help!

Ragav

Re: PICKIT 2 Clone Error

How do you connect the pickit to the pic?? There are 5 pins that you must connect to the pic.

Yes. I connected a PIC 16f628 and 16f84a directly on a breadboard after verifying pin outputs. I plan to make a ZIF socket if this works.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

forgive my ignorance, but i got the sme eroor wihtout attaching the ICSP to any pic

Well many things can go wrong, are you sure you didn't mess up with the components? The computer detects the device so the firmware must be the correct.

you got this error message while troubleshooting right???

what is the vdd and vss voltage output plz check with dm..

Thanks for the reply guys. Only two substitutions were made. I ran out of BC548's so switched to BC547's but got the pinouts correct. Insted of a !N5817, I switched to a 1n4148.

Voltage check with DMM (W.r.t gnd) :
VPP : 3.94 V
VDD : 5.10 V

The Voltage I get while calibrating is 4.43 Volts, But now it says 5.10 Volts. What everthe voltage, My Unit cannot be calibrated!

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

P.S: I did not connect any device while measuring the VPP/VDD or calibration. Can someone point out if my pic is damaged? or is it due to someother problem. AN other thing is that My USB cable is quite long.

It would be great if someone could also let me know the basic instructions/tut's to ICSP. If I'm right, There are no other components involved except the PIC for ICSP programming (atleast for the 16f628A/16f84A)

Question : are you manually selecting a device from the software or have you kept it to Auto detect?

1N4148 might not work correctly in this application because VPP is derived from a boost converter. 3.94 is way below the limit, it should be around 12volts. this will prevent the PIC kit 2 from resetting the microcontroller. are all the capacitors in the right order and of correct values?

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

the problem is most likely at the part where the transistor and 4148 are connected. If the cable was a problem, the PIC kit would not be recgonized. No there rae no additional components involved in ICSP, all you need to do is connect Power, MCLR ICSPDAT and ICSPCLK.

^ thanks spiral. I'll replace the 4148 and see how it goes. iM pretty much sure the transistors and caps are in order as per the schematic. Ill be taking sometime though. Ill revert back to you guys when the replace emtn is done. meanwhile can someone let me know is manually selecting the pic is nessesscary een on Matlab?

upload ur pickit2 files here... also cable should not be a problem and check for values of capacitors have u placed according schematic same values...

but my friend had no issues he built the same one....

Thanks for the reply guys. Only two substitutions were made. I ran out of BC548's so switched to BC547's but got the pinouts correct. Insted of a !N5817, I switched to a 1n4148.
Voltage check with DMM (W.r.t gnd) :
VPP : 3.94 V
VDD : 5.10 V
The Voltage I get while calibrating is 4.43 Volts, But now it says 5.10 Volts. What ever the voltage, My Unit cannot be calibrated!
There is a trouble shooting menu in the Pickit 2 programming SW. Try to get the circuit analysed by that feature, and if that reads the above value, the Vpp is too low and thus may be the problem. The Vpp Or the MCLR level must me between 11.99 and 13.5 approximately. Vdd is generally passed through a diode to the ICSP pins, thus it should read about 4.XX and not exactly 5 or 5.XX. Double check / Cross check your HW and assembly for any wrong value of resistors used or any component used in wrong direction.
Cheers

Ill check the Hardware again. Here goes the trouble shooting process .... :|

As i said earlier, the Vdd is usually 4.43 volts, but PICKIT2 software says it might be too low to calibarate. Ill check Vpp...

PKWarn0003: Unexpected device ID: Please verify that a PIC18F452 is correctly installed in the application. (Expected ID = 0x420, ID Read = 0x0)
PICkit 2 Ready
connect ur hardware first and then open the pic kit2 software and select the require ic from device family. use 1n5817 or bat41 diode. in41418 will not be right option.

i think ur programer is working fine . just use the right diode and select the correct ic from device family

Thanks. WIll try all the suggestions given here. 1n5817 or bat 41 is not available. I'll see if i can get it from somewhere else...

Status
Not open for further replies.