Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

photodetector amplifier - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
photodetector amplifier

Yea, thes is normal, then self most IT laser has some red light spectra too...
You must find a position & distance from your detector with maximum of signal, than fix it!
It will be better to apply a pigtail for so a measurement, then otherwise you will have to much changings/effects in your meas- setup, you will stangig to debag some dejustages...
K.

Added after 2 minutes:

You must be careful with Laser light/power_your eyes are irreparable! Is it a IR Laser or visible?

photodetector amplifier

it is one of the those 5mW laser pointers.

ok last question what measurments should i consider to see if i need a gain or not ?

when i put the detector on a table and apply the laser on it ( from distance ), it reads around 3- 3.5 volt. is that enough to be clear on the oscliscope or do i need an amplifier ??

note : if i try to put the fiber in betweeen and put the detector right infront of one end and the laser at the other end, should i get the same value ??

photodetector amplifier

You see,
Your oscilloscope has a range switch/sensitivity selector of min. 5mV/Div, but often 2 or 1 mV/div...
For a full screen (hight) you need then 5x5=25mV signal, you have minimum 3V, also more as enough for most sensitive range :)
You can set it to 200 or ev. 500mV/div, the (as I wrote it over their) you will have to calculate with (for us unknowed) couplings inefficiency!
Its real possible, that your signal will be only in 10th of % or maybe only some percents of direct detected beam into fiber coupled system...
As Keith told too; you must try it_do experimenting...
K.

photodetector amplifier

so i am in the clear?

Added after 1 minutes:

and when i use the fiber, i can still get readings on the oscilloscope ? so i dont need an amplifier?

photodetector amplifier

You see, if your direct detection is at 3V, maybe you will become only 10% of that-> your signal is at 300mV, for a scope full hight display you dont need an amplifier!
BUT DONT forget pls; all these number are only ASSUMED yet, but not irreal!...
K.

harryd

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
photodetector amplifier

so basically the coupling efficiency will tell whether i need an amplifier or not

photodetector amplifier

So is it!
:)
Otherwise; you can search a little for Beam profile meters/meas.-techniques...
Usual is not the full beam "to see" with a detector, but only over a small slot...
So will you have more sharp profiles.
OK, I must goo to sleep_we have 2 Oclock!! sorry!
By!

photodetector amplifier

thanks alot man u really helped me :D
god bless you
ok to calculate the coupling efficiency i have to do some by trial and error ?

and what is the threshold for an acceptable coupling efficiency?

photodetector amplifier

Threshold is setting only from your sensitivity/scope & other instruments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back