Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

operational amplifier shematic problem 741

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i designed a circuit using uA741 from ST https://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/5304.pdf in order to amplify voltage using a gain of 22 ( R2 = 22k and R1 = 1k), the shematic is attached, but without résult the circuit is unfonctionnel, the pin 7 i used a 5V alimentation and in pin 4 i connect the ground,

Actually the non inverting amplifier like this has a gain of 1+(22k/1K)=23 , it is always the resistor ratio +1
other than that the schematic is fine, if you apply +0.1v to the + input you will get +2.3v to the output

Alex

I think you have to change the horse – the UA741 was not really meant to be used in low voltage applications ..
Google for an opamp rated for single 5V supply, perhaps rail-to-rail output, to give you full 0-to-5V output voltage swing ..
:wink:
IanP

Hi yassin,

With this connection, you should connect a negative supply voltage at pin 4.
Regards

Z

3 answer but i don't know which is the true answer,
i tried simulation and it works fine, i don't know why my circuit does not work

I thought you had problems with the simulation and it works fine there, also the schematic can work in reality too but with a different opamp like for example LM358.
The 741 need a symmetrical power supply.

Alex

and i can't obtain -5V from the +5V ? have you an idea about this ?

What kind of signal do you intend to amplify?
If it is a DC signal that it would be much easier to use a different opamp

Alex

Yes it is a DC signal, i have to amlify 80 mV in order to put it in the ADC of an MCU, and just i have a supply voltage of 5V

I would suggest to change the opamp, do you have any other available opamp?

Alex

no it is late now, i will try to change it tomorrow, what kind of O.A you will suggest to use ?

You probably need a rail to rail opamp , I have only used OP279 but I'm sure you can find many more, I don't have any specific in mind.
The LM358 is not rail to rail and you can't get an output close to 5v with a supply of 5v.

Alex

i did not need an output of 5V just i have a supply voltage of 5V and i don't want to add a boost or regulator,

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

why did you talk about rail to rail, i did not need a rail to rail opam, the output needed is about 1 V

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

look at the LM324 alex i think he can do the job **broken link removed**

Then LM358 will work fine (it's a dual opamp but it doesn't matter, it is cheap anyway).
I thought you wanted to use the full range of the ADC (assuming 5v reference)

Alex

no my mcu work with 3.3V and i will the refernce of 1.5V

LM358 is basically able to do what you want. Your designed gain is however 23 rather than 22.

look at the LM324 alex i think he can do the job **broken link removed**

The LM324 is the quad version of LM358, you can use it if you have more channels to amplify or if you like to have a quad opamp for future projects

Alex

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

At the moment, I am not sure if the 741 can operate with a supply as low as +- 2.5 volts (or +5V single supply).
However, one thing I know: Your circuit cannot work without a suitable bias circuitry for single supply operation (very, very often discussed in this forum). More than that, the feedback resitor to ground must be in series with a capacitor in order to give the circuit a dc gain of unity. This is always necessary for single supply operation.
If this is fulfilled, of course you can use the 741 for this task - no doubt.

At the moment, I am not sure if the 741 can operate with a supply as low as +- 2.5 volts (or +5V single supply).
However, one thing I know: Your circuit cannot work without a suitable bias circuitry for single supply operation (very, very often discussed in this forum). More than that, the feedback resistor to ground must be in series with a capacitor in order to give the circuit a dc gain of unity. This is always necessary for single supply operation.

He wants to amplify a DC signal, how is this going to work with an amplifier that has a unity gain?

Alex

However, one thing I know: Your circuit cannot work without a suitable bias circuitry for single supply operation (very, very often discussed in this forum). More than that, the feedback resitor to ground must be in series with a capacitor in order to give the circuit a dc gain of unity. This is always necessary for single supply operation.

can you explain more ? as i understand i can supply my opam with VCC-=GND and VCC+=5V ?? the supply that i whould output is 80 mV and the gain is 23

Status
Not open for further replies.