Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with interview question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtd_Vik

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to implement i - 8 (8 bit length) ?

I answered that I would use a subtractor (modified adder) to construct carry skip or save or similar adder. He refused to accept it. Please help.

Thanks!

converting 8 to binary we get 1000. this means the lower 3 bits of the answer is going to be the lower 3 bits of i,no matter what. So you can instead use a 5 bit subtractor that does(i>>3) - 1 which is going to be a lot simpler and saves area, power and has higher speed. Whould this be a good answer?

converting 8 to binary we get 1000. this means the lower 3 bits of the answer is going to be the lower 3 bits of i,no matter what. So you can instead use a 5 bit subtractor that does(i>>3) - 1 which is going to be a lot simpler and saves area, power and has higher speed. Whould this be a good answer?

if you mean by i>>3 shift right by three ... should work ... will try and get back to you

Thanks legendkiller

Example: I = 0xAA = b10101010 = 170

Shift 1 place right = 0x55 = b01010101 = 85
Shift 1 place right = 0x2A = b00101010 = 42
Shift 1 place right = 0x15 = b00010101 = 21
Subtract 1 = 0x14 = b00010100 = 20

Clearly subtracting 8 from 170 does not result in 20 so (i >> 3) - 1 does not work. It gives (i/8)-1 not 1-8.

The correct answer is to subtract 8 or add 0xF8, ignoring that a carry will be generated.

Brian.

@betwixt
actually the lower 3 bits of i are directly routed to the lower 3 bits of the answer hence you get 10100 from the 5 bit subtractor and 010 from the input i and concatinating it yields 10100010 which is 162. subtracting 8 is the actual answer but why use a full 8 bit subtractor when the lower 3 bits are going to depend on the lower 3 bits of i?

@ManUtd_Vik
you don't need a dedicated shifter circuit. the upper 5 bits can directly be roued to a 5 bit subtractor with the other input set to 1

Last edited:

Although the lower three bits are the same, the answer is correct ONLY if the original value is >= 8. An 8-bit subtractor will indicate a 'borrow' occurred to show the number has turned negative, a 5 bit subtractor will not do that.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back