Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

memory access power consumption...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordsathish

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i would like to know how memory access affects the power of the entire design... how to take up a suitable RAM based on power consumption...i.e if the word length is reduced whether power will be reduced... or it is better to have longer words to have lesser power... Advice me please... or suggest any book or materials to learn such effects...

Hello,
Your ASIC vendor will have utilities that will help with power exploration. They may have models for memories where you can set up access rates and thereby calculate power consumption. Sometimes the datasheets of the memories themselves will give you guidance on how to design for the access rates. At a low architectural level, you can use the Energy curve vs. operating voltage of the memory in consideration for reducting power. At a higher level, you can use multiple levels of fast/slow memories based on performance and power requirements.

A good book to refer to is . . .
Ultra Low-Power Electronics and Design by Enrico Macii

Best Regards,
--
Adam

lordsathish

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
IR dorp limit in BIST mode is a big issue. should change the memory group.

how do you select a controller for a paticular memory.
and how do you choose the algorithm to be applied to the memory.
pls if u have any material pls upload .

thanks in advance.

FLEXcertifydll said:
IR dorp limit in BIST mode is a big issue. should change the memory group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back