Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

long length signal wire on-chip risky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcken

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am doing layout for a >10Gbps signal. but due to practical issue the signal wire is very long in the layout (>1mm as the red arrow indicates in the uploaded picture)
Is that risky? I think it has to be treated as a transmission line now? But it seems impossible to add extra termination resistors.
Any comments?
Thanks!
Capture.PNG

Reactions: prcken

prcken

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is that risky? I think it has to be treated as a transmission line now? But it seems impossible to add extra termination resistors.

Yes, it is risky. The very minimum is to extract the equivalent series L and shunt C and see what this does to your circuit performance. Extracting it as a transmission line (equivalent: distributed LC for lossless lines, RLGC for lossy lines) is more accurate to higher frequencies.

Yes, it is risky. The very minimum is to extract the equivalent series L and shunt C and see what this does to your circuit performance. Extracting it as a transmission line (equivalent: distributed LC for lossless lines, RLGC for lossy lines) is more accurate to higher frequencies.

I don't know how to extract as distributed RLGC, i think Calibre only extracts as a lumped RLC.
I will try to do extract simulation and see the eye diagram.

I don't know how to extract as distributed RLGC, i think Calibre only extracts as a lumped RLC.

That's correct. For more accurate modelling of critical interconnects, full wave EM solvers like Sonnet or ADS Momentum are required.

I will try to do extract simulation and see the eye diagram.

Yes, it's a good starting point.

Reactions: prcken

prcken

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back