Not open for further replies.

prcken

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am doing layout for a >10Gbps signal. but due to practical issue the signal wire is very long in the layout (>1mm as the red arrow indicates in the uploaded picture)
Is that risky? I think it has to be treated as a transmission line now? But it seems impossible to add extra termination resistors.
Any comments?
Thanks!

Reactions: prcken

prcken

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is that risky? I think it has to be treated as a transmission line now? But it seems impossible to add extra termination resistors.

Yes, it is risky. The very minimum is to extract the equivalent series L and shunt C and see what this does to your circuit performance. Extracting it as a transmission line (equivalent: distributed LC for lossless lines, RLGC for lossy lines) is more accurate to higher frequencies.

I don't know how to extract as distributed RLGC, i think Calibre only extracts as a lumped RLC.
I will try to do extract simulation and see the eye diagram.

I don't know how to extract as distributed RLGC, i think Calibre only extracts as a lumped RLC.

That's correct. For more accurate modelling of critical interconnects, full wave EM solvers like Sonnet or ADS Momentum are required.

I will try to do extract simulation and see the eye diagram.

Yes, it's a good starting point.

Reactions: prcken

prcken

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…