Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Limitations of terrestrial UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhmedGalal

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Firstly I'm sorry if my question is Dump :sad: I'm not a Communication Engineer , I'm production Engineer

What are the geographical limitations of tv reception system of terrestrial UHF ?
What if I used antenna array to incrase gain ? Is that can help me receive far stations ,
Is Analog transmission has more coverage than Digital transmission

Thanks in advance

UHF broadcasts have slightly more snow, compared to VHF.

UHF may be processed differently inside the tv, so it may or may not be due to the higher broadcast frequency.

A good antenna does wonders for tv reception. Also the ability to aim it toward the broadcast.

Digital reception is free of snow, however its range is limited compared to analog. My digital tv goes blank if reception is weak. Or perhaps it updates the picture every few seconds.

Analog tv displays some picture from a distant weak station, even if it has a lot of snow.

UHF transmissions are almost line off sight. To receive a distant station the first thing to do is to plot the terrain between it and you. If there is a range of mountains in between you might not get anything. Once you have established that there is line of sight, then the biggest aerial you can afford is the way to go. Elevating your aerial normally boosts the signal and gives a better line of sight.
Analogue v. digital, The transmission power is set to give equal geographic coverage, so its a bit academic.
Frank

yep, big antenna, really high up, no mountains in the way, and a booster amp after the antenna.

You MIGHT get some transmission off of sky bounce too, so try pointing antenna up at the sky.

Ionosphere doesn't help UHF signals to get a "sky bounce".

here is a good website that talks about long range tv propagation. unfortunately the calculator only works in the USA/Canada. TV stations further than around 90 miles are listed as troposphere propagation.

**broken link removed**

you can use the antenna array for UHF antenna if you want higher gain please consider the following link :

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back