Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

limitations and solutions in low voltage design of adc

Status
Not open for further replies.

userss

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
low voltage adc

I need sources about limitations and solutions in low voltage design of A/D converters. Can you give me suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Low voltage adc

I'll give you an example about the limitations.

For instance if you use a charge-based processing for the ADC which is a cyclic, pipeline or charge-redistribution you try to maximize to the given supply voltage.

The cap size should be ultimate defined by the noise

Vn^2=k*T/C

If you can use a fraction "a" from the supply and set the noise voltage to 3*sigma=1LSB then the cap should be

C>k*T/(a*Vdd*/(3*2^n))^2=774fF for a=0.75, Vdd=1.2V, n=12

So for each bit the cap goes up by a factor 4. If you half the Vdd you need also 4 times the cap size. These should be charged from the supply. The energy needed from the supply is then double than that with the orginal voltage.

So voltage scaling leads to less effcient ADC's. Or someone say analog scaling is death. True, digital could improve and support ADC functions but not noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back