Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitive voltage divider

mahmoud_Esmail

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am simulating CDAC but you can think of it as cap. voltage divider issue , I did two simulations the first is for a very simple CAP. voltage divider [attached schematic] everything works fine after I set zero IC conditions on the caps , the output should be half the input which is verified using the a simulation [attached waveform] , the second simulation is bigger circuit [attached schematic ] but it really the equivalent of first schematic if you take the caps on the right in parallel , you would expect the output voltage to be half the input voltage as first case but some strange stuff is there [ attached waveforms] the output is changing while the input is constant to some strange values , I don't know what is problem as two schematics as equivalent . I am using unit cap. of 1p F then array of caps. is formed , the frequency of the input 1khz and rise and fall times are 1fs.
simple dac text schmatic.png
vout_dac_simple.png
big dac test schematic.png
big dac _vout.png

No. The bottom left corner shows a simple square wave source. It can't generate the shown waveform.
The last image shows the waveforms , the red one is the input which is square wave ranging from 1v to 2v , the yellow one is the ouput which not a square wavefrom which strange that why I'm asking

Hi,

a square wave into a capacitive divider? Does it make sense?

A square wave is meant to have (almost) infinite dV/dt.
Using any capacitor this means almost infinite current at the edges.
"Infinite current" is what you don´t wan tto have.
It might look good in a simulation .. but it will not work well in a real circuit.

Klaus

Hi,

a square wave into a capacitive divider? Does it make sense?

A square wave is meant to have (almost) infinite dV/dt.
Using any capacitor this means almost infinite current at the edges.
"Infinite current" is what you don´t wan tto have.
It might look good in a simulation .. but it will not work well in a real circuit.

Klaus
Well capacitive DACs are based on cap. Voltage divider concept the input are digital signals bits the ouptut is analog voltag

Hi,

true. But they - because realistic - have meaningful rise / fall time and series resistance.

A "too idealistic simulation" may cause the "two capacitor paradox" problem ... or simply suffer from variables overflow.

Klaus

So you are claiming that simulator generates the step waveform with 16*fsquare output without introducing any switches, additional voltage sources or time-variant components? Unlikely. I guess the actual circuit is different and has controlled switches.
Is it Cadence Spectre simulator? Can you show the generated netlist?

Hi,

true. But they - because realistic - have meaningful rise / fall time and series resistance.

A "too idealistic simulation" may cause the "two capacitor paradox" problem ... or simply suffer from variables overflow.

Klaus
I added a resistor at input voltage source of resistance 1 ohm nothing changed

So you are claiming that simulator generates the step waveform with 16*fsquare output without introducing any switches, additional voltage sources or time-variant components? Unlikely. I guess the actual circuit is different and has controlled switches.
Is it Cadence Spectre simulator? Can you show the generated netlist?
Yes this is cadence , Okay i will share it

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back