Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

light emitting diode control differ controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulb is 12V 6W. 500 mA

Hi,

this doesn´t answer the question about supply voltage.
All the schematics show 5V only.

Klaus

does gates input will work based on PWM pulse..?

Yes, You can input PWM to AND gate inputs. Check the frequency that the gate can handle.

- - - Updated - - -

@KlausST

He has a few more threads and in one he has mentioned that he is using 12V battery to drive the 12V 6W Lamp.

okada
Can we use ULN2003A instead of 2N222A..?

Yes, you can use connect two outputs of ULN2003A to one side of Lamp and another side of Lamp to +12.0V. Short both bases of channel 1 and 2 and drive it through a PIC TTL 5V pin but use base resistor as mentioned in the datasheet. Two channels in parallel can handle 500 mA current. Don't use single channel. Single channel rating is 500 mA and your current is also 500 mA.

if we short two channel means..it can handle 1A..?
because each channel can having capacity of 500mA

Yes. If you need to sink more current then you have to short more channels.

Hi,
Yes, you can use connect two outputs of ULN2003A to one side of Lamp and another side of Lamp to +12.0V. Short both bases of channel 1 and 2 and drive it through a PIC TTL 5V pin but use base resistor as mentioned in the datasheet. Two channels in parallel can handle 500 mA current. Don't use single channel. Single channel rating is 500 mA and your current is also 500 mA.

I recommend to read the datasheet before you give answers.

A light bulb may have up to ten times cold current (peak, switch ON current)

ULN2003 is rated for 600mA peak current per channel.
--> Two channels can´t handle the peak current.

If you drive a 500mA (not taking care of peak current) load with two ULN2003 channels then expect at least 70°C junction temperature. A bit less case temperature. Is this what you want?

Klaus

This is so stupid! Just look at Figure 7. Maximum and Typical Saturated VCE vs Output Current in manual. There will be almost 2W of heat!

He doesn't want to use Mosfet and the solution is to use paralleled darlington pairs and dissipate whatever heat is generated with a heatsink.

This is so stupid! Just look at Figure 7. Maximum and Typical Saturated VCE vs Output Current in manual. There will be almost 2W of heat!

sorry i cant understand it....
whether it is suitable or not..?

It is bipolar transistors. You looking at absolut maximum current. No point to parallel it due to nature of biporal transistors. Current will not be splitted equal. Anyway, Okada, stop giving bad advices.

He doesn't want to use Mosfet and the solution is to use paralleled darlington pairs and dissipate whatever heat is generated with a heatsink.

thanks for your support
no like that okada
i'm thinking on cost of the project also...IRF540 is suitable for it..?

- - - Updated - - -

IRF540 is suitable for it..?

Hi,

He doesn't want to use Mosfet

..and he refuses to give an explanation why.

MOSFET is simple to use, good available, cheap, small, about no disspated heat, about no drive current. I can see no drawback.

But the OP is free to accept advice or not...

Klaus

You choosed it randomly?

this only available in local market near to me
and i think it suitable for our purpose also

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

..and he refuses to give an explanation why.

MOSFET is simple to use, good available, cheap, small, about no disspated heat, about no drive current. I can see no drawback.

But the OP is free to accept advice or not...

Klaus

i looked for low cost and simply hardware thats why i searched manythings...

ok i will use MOSFET itself....
Is IRF540 is right choice..?

Is IRF540 is right choice..?

Depends on what you're talking about, right choice to immediately solve your problem, or to have a well-sized design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.