Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to load initial contents to SRAM from PROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendozaulises

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
SRAM Loading from PROM

Hi all,
Is is possible to load initial contents to the external SRAM if Xilinx Spartan-3 from PROM?
I am using the SRAM to interface a VGA monitor. What I'm doing is saving every pixel color on the SRAM, and then, every pixel color is read from SRAM.

I will use it to display the results of a transformation, but I also want to display some characters, lets say, my name, so, in the way I am currently doing it, characters position are saved in ROM, therefore, this would waste a lot of FPGA resources.

So, I was wondering whether I could load characters from PROM directly to the SRAM, that way, I wouldn't use so many resources from FPGA.

Thanks in Advance,

Re: SRAM Loading from PROM

if you are reffering to the xilinx configuration prom , then yes
you can add your information in the end of your bit file, when the configuration is ended you can use the configuration pins as i/o and keep on reading the prom, i once did it by myself and it worked ! then all you need is to copy this bit to the SRAM. read some application regarding the bit file format in your prom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back