Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetra

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dial up connection for internet has max speed of 56kbps. But when ever I download a file with my dial up connection, the download speed never goes above 7kbps, where as when I download the same file with broadband connection the speed goes upto 50kbps.
When the speed of connection is 56kbps, why isn't the file downloading at that speed?

Magnetra

56 kbps is the maximum rate in line
recall the shanon limit
C=B log (1+SNR) (log is in base 2)
so another important parameter is SNR
in broadband connection B (Bandwidth) is wider than dial up connection. i think in dial up B is 4 KHz

The speed that u see while downloading is given in KBPS(kilo bytes ps) and not kbps (kilo bits ps) [in both IE and firefox..and probably in all other browsers]..So I
think ur connection is ok as 7 K Bytes PS ≡ 56 K bits PS -the max possible speed with normal dialup.

ur modem speed is in kb/s while the downloading is in kB/s..

Regards

usually the upload and download will be unsymmetrical...download speed will greater than upload speed

It is a specs at ISP level

why is download speed more than upload speed please

thanks,
Salma:D

I think speed differnce occurs in RF communication like in GSM, CDMA, VSAT etc does it happens in Broadband ?

easy: its 56 kilo bits per sec. Your download its 7 (i mean, 56 divided per 8) kilo BYTES per sec. This is the maximum media suport. Above this, needs modulation, or make the connection assymetric (ADSL) to increase the throuput and the download link, normally must used.

(i mean, 56 divided per 8) 8 stands for ?

Keep it mine 56k is the maximum theoretical speed of the modem. FCC limits actual connection rates to 53k if I'm not mistaken.

(56 kilobits/second) / (8 bits/byte) = 7 kiloBytes/second

Status
Not open for further replies.