Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD protection for High speed signal (HDMI2.1)

aminpix

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to use ESD protection for my high speed 12G HDMI signals.
There are few candidates such as TPD1E05U06, PUSB3FR4Z and TPD6E05U06.
TPD1E05U06 is a single TVS diode with 0402 footprint and PUSB3FR4Z and TPD6E05U06 are IC shape (6 diodes) with USON footprint.
I wonder which one is better candidate for high speed signal?

Hi,

I just did an internet search for "HDMI ESD protection". Millions of hits.
Some reliable looking documents from semiconductor manufacturers.

Regarding the mentined devices ... I´d look if the (clamping) voltages meet your device you want to protect (we don´t have any information about it)
And you need to check whether the capacitances are small enough not to cause problems.

Klaus

Anybody there? I need a mentor to help me get a project going. [email address removed by moderator - please reply here so we can all see the advice]

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is an "assembly-level" ESD overlay, the best approach might be
to have a VTT-potential large low ESR/ESL capacitor, and fast recovery
diode-pairs from VTT_ESD to the signal lines. Vf > Vdiff/2 ought to keep
leakage low. Cap has to dwarf the threat-model source.

Hi,

I just did an internet search for "HDMI ESD protection". Millions of hits.
Some reliable looking documents from semiconductor manufacturers.

Regarding the mentined devices ... I´d look if the (clamping) voltages meet your device you want to protect (we don´t have any information about it)
And you need to check whether the capacitances are small enough not to cause problems.

Klaus
There are only a few good hits for 12G protection.
You need FemtoFarad capacitance in the data levels to minimize eye-pattern distortion. So the best protection is the lowest junction and differential capacitance that is rated for IEC 61000-4-2 using the recommended layout.

There must be a margin budget for jitter or Eye pattern margin, that includes the EOS protection.

The PUSB3FR4 is 0.29 pF typ
The TPD1E05U06 &TPDxE05U06 are rated at 0.42 pF to 0.5 pF typ.
RClamp3371ZC below is 0.25 pF typ. but only in a single port.

1700684113369.png

It is commonly known that diode capacitance is also proportional to ESR or Rs which determines bulk I*Rs rise for a common material property.

Last edited:
There are only a few good hits for 12G protection.
You need FemtoFarad capacitance in the data levels to minimize eye-pattern distortion. So the best protection is the lowest junction and differential capacitance that is rated for IEC 61000-4-2 using the recommended layout.

There must be a margin budget for jitter or Eye pattern margin, that includes the EOS protection.

The PUSB3FR4 is 0.29 pF typ
The TPD1E05U06 &TPDxE05U06 are rated at 0.42 pF to 0.5 pF typ.
RClamp3371ZC below is 0.25 pF typ. but only in a single port.

View attachment 186364

It is commonly known that diode capacitance is also proportional to ESR or Rs which determines bulk I*Rs rise for a common material property.

Thank you for your reply.
I think those TVS diodes I found has high capacitance for my 12G traces but RCIamp3371 has the least capacitance. Thank you for sharing RCIamp3371 with me. Since it has 201 footprint, I assume it has the least effect on the traces.
Now I have two more questions:
1- Beside the capacitance, I should consider the stub they make on the traces.
2- Since RCIamp3371 has 201 footprint, it means I should bring the GND plane very close to the traces. Can it cause any issue?

What do you think about that?

Any solution come to your mind for those created stubs?

yes
  • Placement: Position the RClamp 3371ZC close to HDMI connectors to minimize trace lengths and reduce parasitic capacitance.
  • Grounding: Ensure a solid ground connection for the device. Connect the ground pad to a ground plane for efficient ESD protection.
  • Signal Integrity: Maintain signal integrity by keeping signal traces short and avoiding tight bends. Follow HDMI layout guidelines for impedance matching.
  • Decoupling: Include decoupling capacitors near the RClamp 3371ZC to enhance performance

yes
  • Placement: Position the RClamp 3371ZC close to HDMI connectors to minimize trace lengths and reduce parasitic capacitance.
  • Grounding: Ensure a solid ground connection for the device. Connect the ground pad to a ground plane for efficient ESD protection.
  • Signal Integrity: Maintain signal integrity by keeping signal traces short and avoiding tight bends. Follow HDMI layout guidelines for impedance matching.
  • Decoupling: Include decoupling capacitors near the RClamp 3371ZC to enhance performance
I'm wondering if you got your messages mixed with someone else. Clamps, HDMI, coupling capacitors, Femptofarad, 12c...I don't know what these are, and they seem to be not associated with this project.

This project is mostly relays and wiring. I used to work around big motors. The control circuits for these consisted mainly of relays (ice cube relays). That's the level of sophistication I am at. I'll be bread boarding mainly with relays. Small electronics, and components can come later. Attached is step 1 of about 4 that I am trying to make happen.

This project is mostly relays and wiring. I used to work around big motors. The control circuits for these consisted mainly of relays (ice cube relays). That's the level of sophistication I am at. I'll be bread boarding mainly with relays. Small electronics, and components can come later. Attached is step 1 of about 4 that I am trying to make happen.
I'm wondering if you got your messages mixed with someone else. Clamps, HDMI, coupling capacitors, Femptofarad, 12c...I don't know what these are, and they seem to be not associated with this project.
looks like you are the one in the wrong thread. Pls observe the rules..
the title is ESD protection for High speed signal (HDMI2.1)

I stand corrected. What forum deals with magnetometers, please?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: