Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing Bluetooth USB Dongle with Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluetooth + microcontroller

feline694 said:
dear niket

would you mind to change your concept?
If not u can use the nRF24 which has built in MCU with Blue tooth.

let me know your plan

thanks for sharing

feline

It is only 2.4 Ghz RF Transciever with on chip controller. They have not specified bluetooth anywhere.
If you wanna use any wireless communication protocol then there are lots of options like Zigbee, FSK etc...there are many system on chip 2.4Ghz RF Transcievere available.

But this thread is specifically meant for Bluetooth...

interfacing bluetooth dongle with microcontroller

I would like to know if any progress has been made regarding the original idea of using a uC to drive a USB BLUETOOTH dongle. I have the setup here in front of me to do just that with one of my circuit cards. I originally designed it to use with FLASHDRIVES and it uses the Vinculum chip. The Vinculum has a DATA mode and it can pass data, directly through it to the device that is plugged into the USB A type HOST connector. These BLuetooth dongles seem to just contain the RADIO and I assume all the HOPPING, PAIRING and sevice class control must be done by the PC whne plugged into a PC. That means the uC needs to be able to do similar butmaybe limited subsets of commands for rudimentary operation as a serial port.
Comments / suggestions / further discussions welcome and appreciated.

bluetooth usb pic-controller

Why not just use a Bluetooth to serial adapter, most MPUs have a UART easy peasy.
**broken link removed**

bluetooth connected to microcontroller

Hi Blueroomelectronics.
A quick net lookup and i find them about 10 times the price of the typical USB Bluetooth dongle. But I agree, it would work. External powered. Or battery...Just no where near as clean as just popping a bluetooth dongle on and linking up.

bluetooth with java connect to microcontroller

I think the hopping and pairing are done inside the Bluetooth dongle

dongle bluetooth usb microcontroller interface

Yes the RS232 devices do all the work, that's partly why they cost more. They also don't need a device driver and some have TTL I/O.

otg bluetooth interfacing dongle arm

hi cant we hack the bluetooth module out of a bluetooth dongle bypassing the usb chip and interface to the bluetooth directly... This way we have a cheap, easily available wireless communication platform?!

bluetooth usb a pic

If you examine the internals of a bluetooth Dongle you may well find the Broadcom BCM2045 chip. Takes USB straight in. No USB devices to bypass. Along with Standard uart and SPi and a few discretes. What were talking about doing here is perfectly feasible since it's already been done. I believe the Motorola Krazer uses this device and I don't believe it is too PC like...But I guess I need to look into the Krazer inards a little more. I would have though it contained a somewhat powerful microcontroller at its core which in turn must drive the BCM2045. Hopping/ Pairing: I have never seen a dongle with a pairing switch that PAIRS it with an external device on its own. And the devices must SYNC their suedo-random hoppers and this is done by the PC. That is all PAIRING is, I believe. Just rf detection and getting to a common hop starting point. Once hopping starts, maybe the BCM2045 handles the hop sequence but there is definately host pc interaction to the dongle.

Added after 3 hours 4 minutes:

Just tossing the odd reality out here just for understanding purposes for those who follow this possible painful path.... One of the *possible* stumbling blocks of all this is that each bluetooth dongle manufacturer can select from different bluetooth radio devices(chips/chipsets) and when they do, the maufacturer of the bluetooth dongle provides a specific WINDOWS DRIVER for operating their device. However that said, since windows seems to be offering a generic driver that works with more than one manufacturers device, there seems to be either some commonality of interoperability between different manufacturer devices or the Windows driver is just getting FAT with all the known types out there and recognizes them when they are plugged in, since most USB devices do offer an ID transmission to the host when they are first plugged in. Ramblings of a mad man.....

otg bluetooth coldfire

hey is this possible to connect a usb bluetooth dongle to a microcontroller????????

plsss reply meee.....needed urgently

thanks in advance...

usb-bluetooth angesteuert von mikrocontroller

Exactly. In simple terms NO. But I am communicating to my bluetooth dongle via Hyper terminal and the Vinculum chip. No RF communication yet. Just USB to DONGLE. So far I am at the "Hello World" level and maybe just beyound that with the limit of functionality being that I have QD'd the device and got an expected 32 byte response back from the dongle. First step is GET FAMILIAR WITH USB...Of course the dongle is an UNKNOWN device by Vinculum (bit 6 page 42 of http://www.vinculum.com/documents/fwspecs/UM_VinculumFirmware_V205.pdf)
But I can get into data mode with Vinculum. In this mode the Vinculum just passes whatever it gets on its monitor port directly to the connected USB device.

Since the 2045 takes USB straight in, it must comply with the USB spec.

Presumably if we send the correct USB data using the Vinculum DSD command and read back data using the DRD command, in the correct method as required by the Dongle, we.... well.... thats where I'm at :? Knowing what the dongle wants and knowing what the dongle sends back are what I am digging for at the moment..Like I said. Ramblings of a mad man..

toothpick interfacing

Thanks a lot for ur responses :D...

what actually i need is, i want to send a contact number from my mobile using a bluetooth feature.....on the other side the microcontroller should receive that contact number with the help of bluetooth dongle connected to it.

so, now as u said, if it is not possible to connect a bluetooth USB dongle to a microcontroller for communication...then what can u suggest me(i.e, is it possible to connect a bluetooth module to a microcontroller for communication??????)

bluetooth mcu thesis

No you need the more expensive rs232 version as it contains the extra microcontroller with the firmware required to connect as a Bluetooth device.
And they're about $100 US

bcm2045 datasheet

There are many companies making a bluetooth embedable modules. Or count ten posts previous to this and the Parani SD100 suggested by blueroomelectronics. This plugs onto a DB9 serial port but I believe they make embedable modules as well. A little work with google and you'll find many. Try "bluetooth embedded module"

rn-21 bluetooth microcontroller

Have a look at the link below. The modules use simple AT commands. I have not used them but they are failry cheap = $40

**broken link removed**

Reactions: Holger

Holger

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
dongle bluetooth microcontroller

Thanks davidgrm. Yes I am spotting a few offerings of the embedded module in this price range also. I am also seeing some different offerings of bluetooth dongles from a few folks that are a little more than your run-of-the-mill bluetooth dongle. The link you provided has one such offering.The KC-210 USB dongle. Unlike the usual cheepie USB bluetooth dongles that just have the radio chip inside and require a lot of work inside the PC, this bluetooth dongle has an integrated controller AND the radio chip. It offloads a lot of the typical overhead tasks from the PC that it is plugged into and provides an easy com port style of communication. Looking at the data sheet: **broken link removed**
Page 6, I have seen this block diagram before on some one elses integrated bluetooth dongle and I am going hunting for it now. Again thanks for posting the link. NOT ALL BLUETOOTH DONGLES ARE CREATED EQUAL!!!

pic + usb a bluetooth

I am very much thankful to u all for ur valuable responses.....thanks a lot!!!!!:D

if a bluetooth module is connected to microcontroller then wat about coding in microcontroller???

how the coding should be done in mc to have communication between bt module and mc???

microcontrollers +hid +bluetooth

How you do your code is way out of scope for this board. Depends on your choice of controller, the language you want to write the code in and the data that pertains to your bluetooth device choice

Heres another fully integrated dongle or two...

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

module bluetooth mikrokontroller

hiiii @shingadaddy, thanks for ur response

The above sites u suggesting are about the bluetooth dongles..but as per my requirement, it is already said that we cannot connect a bluetooth dongle to a microcontroller directly for a communication,as they need separate drivers to be installed which becomes complicated.

so what am thinking now is to connect a bluetooth module(i.e,BP20372 BLUETOOTH 2.0+EDR) to a microcontroller(PIC16F877A). so how the coding should be done in mc for bluetooth and microcontroller communication???

Thanks in advance :D

usb bluetooth interface with microcontroller

That module would work fine. It supports many popular communications protocols (UART, I2S<sic>. SPI) and has both a 1.1 & 2.0 Bluetooth stack.
The 16F877A has all you need.
A slightly better PIC might be an 18F4620 as it's got more of everything and much better tools IE C18, Swordfish BASIC and is almost a drop in replacement for the 16F877A

Nice find koolhoney07

Reactions: maroot

maroot

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.