Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information about the cache memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachinmaheshwari

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello...
can anyone tell me abt cache memory?
n tell me dat from where i can know abt it?
or provide me some link for it?

Re: cache memory

cache memory is the memory where the recently accessed routines and values get stored.... they involve different algorithms for their storage and replacement.... the main use of cache memory is that the access time is very low compared to main memory.....

go and read in computer architecture

Virtually the processor doesn't see the cache as a different memory, since cache carrys the same address as that in the main memory, but accessible with much lesser time....

Hey,

Cache memory is basically used to speed up the performance. Main memory as a whole is very big (say 4GB) and it will take time to access it (say 100ns, in old system). Mostly computers are pipelined and are scheduled to work at 10 ns (say). Thus to access main memory, huge amount of time is wasted. Thus to reduce access time, we use cache memory, which is small in size and access time is very small (10ns say). Thus, blocks of words/data (frequently used) from main memory is brought to cache memory. 90% of the time data needed by CPU is present in cache and is termed as hit rate. For misses we need to stall the pipeline and access from main memory.

BR//
Abhishek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back