Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedance matching for MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtle

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I am trying to design an amplifier using TAV1-331+ transistor that will operate at 10 MHz. Since I am fresh graduate engineer, I am having difficulties in design. Although, in the datasheet of the transistor it is indicated that it works at 50 ohm (but not internally matched), I think I am still supposed to match input and output impedance to the 50 ohm using L-Matching technique. However when I look at the datasheet of transistor I cannot see any resistance value neither at input nor at output (just bias tees in which they contain capacitor and inductor). As far as I know the transistor should contain a resistance value at the input and output to find input and output impedance values because in small signal analysis capacitors and inductors are not counted.

So, how am I supposed to find input and output impedance values to match circuit to 50 ohm?

I attached to datasheet of the TAV1-331+

Attachments

• TAV1-331+.pdf
    280.1 KB · Views: 151

I did it. Here is the one of the file. What do all these values mean? How can I do matching using these values?

Attachments

• S.png
    S.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 150

You seem to be a bit out of your depth here; perhaps basic RF design is not taught much any more. Try the following for a start.
1 Google S parameters and find out about the Smith chart too, you're definitely going to need to know about that.
2 Google impedance matching tutorial - the first 3 or 4 hits should get you going. You will need to know about the Smith chart to follow any of them.
3 State what are you trying to achieve with this amplifier i.e what specification are you trying to meet.

Is the device you have chosen suitable? It has high unmatched gain at 10MHz, you need to be careful about stability when putting matching circuits on the input and output.
Would a gain block be more suitable for you? GALI or GVA series, these do not need matching.
The FET you have chosen would not be my first choice for a 10MHz amplifier, but maybe you need some specific parameter or were told to use it.

There are a lot of very experienced people here and they're quite willing to give you assistance if you say what you are trying to achieve and what you have already done to help yourself.

First, I want to thank you my friend for your answer. Actually, I know about S-parameters, using smith chart and impedance matching techniques. However, we have not covered the amplifier design in RF frequency domain in university (It was a master course). Although, I am familiar with the transistors, I just do not know how to find input impedance of transistor (in case that the transistor do not have any resistance value) as I stated above in order to realize the matching. That is why I am having difficulties. I will consider your offer using GALI and GVA series. Again many thanks for your assistance and many thanks to BigBoss. I think I figured out how to use these files.

First, read some textbooks especially this one.

This textbook covers almost all kind of amplifier design principles and it's called as Reference of Active RF Design.
Then you can go ahead..
--- Updated ---

If you're a lazy boy, use this applet for single frequency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.