Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP54520A boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In an HP54520A DSO, I press the power up button and the scope stucks with all the front face indicator lights permanently turned on.
LAst time I used it it worked, I do not know what is happening.
I know the monitor is working cause when I press a button during power up it prompts if I want to update the firmware (which cannot be done since the scope is stuck on boot up).

Any hints?

Attachments

• 54542-97015-2.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 189

try the reset procedures on page 5-3
default reset first
if that doesn't work, key down power-up

then i would try a self calibration cycle
then, if you have it, load the software as if it was new (as described in the key down powerup paragraph

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
try the reset procedures on page 5-3
default reset first
if that doesn't work, key down power-up

then i would try a self calibration cycle
then, if you have it, load the software as if it was new (as described in the key down powerup paragraph
I have tried these, they do not work. With the key down, the screen comes on and asks for pressing again the shift for updating the software, but nothing happens when I do so.
It seems it has stuck in the state between the power on of the switch and the internal clicking of the relays. I hear no relays clicking inside.
I do not know if a relay contacts stuck could cause this.

Did you perform the trouble isolation flowchart? (Service manual 54542-97015-2), see http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hp/54520a/
Yes of course. It does not mention that case. My screen does not display anything, but I know it works because when I reset with the shift button pressed a message appears and asks if you want to upgrade the firmware.
But the flowchart assumes that the scope has booted when the screen works.

The 3V lithium battery CR17450SE soldered on the mainboard might require replacing (behind CRT, rear left corner). Remove all power to the oscilloscope, open enclosure and measure the voltage. High Voltages maybe present inside take all necessary precautions.

Attachments

• IMG_20211226_175742.jpg
    IMG_20211226_175742.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 148

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back